1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should my white self apply?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 3, 2006.

1. I just came across the application for the APSE's Sports Journalism Institute. Nowhere does it explicitly say "do not apply if you are white", but...it seems to implicitly say "do not apply if you are white."

Would it be a waste of time?
    --
    Attention: Aspiring Sports Journalists

Story posted on Sept. 20, 2006

Application process

The Sports Journalism Institute is now accepting applications for its 15th class. To get the application, please go to www.sportsjournalisminstitute.org. This program is a very critical program in attempting to diversify sports departments especially with this year's Racial and Gender Report Card on America's sports departments (.pdf).

The 2007 Sports Journalism Institute is a nine-week training and internship program for college students interested in sports journalism careers. The Institute is designed to attract talented students to print journalism through opportunities in sports reporting and editing and enhance racial and gender diversity in sports departments of newspapers nationwide. The program will run from June 1-Aug. 3, 2007.

The Sports Journalism Institute, which works with the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ), is funded by the Tribune Foundation, Hearst Newspapers/Houston Chronicle, Associated Press Sports Editors and the New York Daily News. The classrooom training portion will be hosted by the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla., and will run June 1-9; paid eight-week internships at newspapers around the country will follow.

The program, which began in 1993, has more than 135 graduates who have gone on to work at newspapers throughout the country.

2. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Are you a woman?

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Are you disabled?

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

A diabled black woman with good clips and a history of volunteer work with other minority groups -- is there any job such a person couldn't get?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

One with the KKK?

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, you definitely have no chance if you don't apply.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Even if they were aimed at something other than white males, it might be worthwhile because you would be getting your resume and clips before somebody who might be looking for somebody else. It would seem less wasteful than applying to a lot of jobs.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Friend of mine sent me this link:

http://www.cir-usa.org/releases/83.html

Times-Dispatch got their asses sued for denying a spot in a workshop to a high school girl who was not a minority, even though they'd already accepted her to be a part of the summer program.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Join a minority group on campus, put it in your resume and fire away.

But the answer to your questions is that there jhave been very few (any?) white males in the Sports Journalism Institute over the years.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I get tired of seeing things like this for undergrads. What if a grad student wanted this sort of experience? Seems unfair.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Easy. Don't graduate. Do I have to hold everyone's hand here?

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Dang it, Ace. Where were you two-and-half-years ago when I was graduating from college?

Oh, right, that was before I decided sports reporting was a good idea.

Dang it, Ace. Where were you when I decided to become a sports reporter/photog? You have failed me.

Draft saved Draft deleted