1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mayor Bloomberg have postponed the NY Marathon?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Noticed that, too. If so, I'm glad Bloomberg was wise enough to change his mind instead of being his usual stubborn self.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Move it to New Orleans

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Hell and yes. And the fact that he is just again shows how rich folk are out of touch with anyone but their buddies. Imagine following instructions to evacuate only to have a knock at your hotel door and there's a hotel employee and a guy with a collection of running shoes saying 'we'll have to ask you to seek a homeless shelter tonight.'" And it's why I distrust giving money to some agency. I'd rather send it directly to a family in need.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I see no evidence of cancellation at the city's Web site, the marathon's Web site, or the NYT site.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Run that sucker. Twice.

Not that I genuinely think they should, but when I start off neutral on a subject and a whole bunch of people start over the top bitching (on TV, not necessarily here), I'm automatically for whatever they're against. I can't help myself. ;)

On a serious note and as a runner, these people have put in months and sometimes years of preparation for this one race. It's not exactly just your local 5K, so you'll catch another one next weekend. BUT, if I had put in the miles preparing and dreaming of running the NYC Marathon, I'd hate to do it in a disaster area. It wouldn't exactly be the same as what you've envisioned.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Twitterverse is going crazy with word it's been canceled.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like it's off.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Confirmation?
    http://news.yahoo.com/blank-headline-received-211243501--sector.html

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg says New York City Marathon is canceled.

All the self-righteous Twitter blathering can stop now.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The NYC Marathon has officially been cancelled. Here's the release that just popped into my work inbox.

Please see below a joint statement from Mayor Bloomberg and NYRR President and CEO Mary Wittenberg:

“The Marathon has been an integral part of New York City’s life for 40 years and is an event tens of thousands of New Yorkers participate in and millions more watch. While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division. The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it. We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event -- even one as meaningful as this -- to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track. The New York Road Runners will have additional information in the days ahead for participants.”

There will be a news briefing at 6:00 PM at 67th and Central Park West/NYRR Media Center.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Given what Staten Island and the part of Brooklyn on the other side of the Verazzono -- where the race goes through -- look like, they absolutely had to cancel the race. It would be in poor taste to have a foot race through an area that just got creamed like that.

But I disagree with the original post about "a niche sport." The marathon is a big deal in New York in a normal year. More than 2 million people line the parade route, and it is a huge source of economic activity. More than 34,000 runners. There is nothing niche about this marathon. It's pretty big and embraced by the masses.

In this particular year, though? No way they should have run it. They came about the right decision in the wrong way -- under pressure. But at least they cancelled it.

Draft saved Draft deleted