1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mayor Bloomberg have postponed the NY Marathon?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes. And the NFL should have bumped Steelers at Giants to Monday night.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cedar Ave. on Staten Island. Not part of the marathon route:

[​IMG]

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/metropolis/2012/11/02/waiting-for-assistance-staten-island-neighbors-help-each-other/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seems like there might be better use right now for all those cases of water bottles, protein packs and race blankets.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well-said...

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

ding,ding, ding.

Bloomberg should take a 16oz. bottle of pop, and shove it in his ass.

Horrible decision.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The hotel rooms are better used by people who no longer have homes, too.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm convinced. Bad call by Bloomberg.

I do think though that in historical terms this will be a good race to have been at, for both visitors and locals, although it won't be a good race to be at.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Not quite sure that analogy fits. The outsiders that Bloomberg ostensibly doesn't want to offend? They'll eventually leave. Your co-worker? You're still going to have to deal with them on a regular basis.

If he were up for re-election on Tuesday (and thus in need of New York votes), you can be assured he'd cancel the race. Frankly, I'm interested to know what the participants think. I know they've been training, etc., and some of them are even sponsored, and thus have a compelling reason/obligation to participate. But what about the average person who has been training for this? I've been trying to put together an article talking to people who are participating and maybe not participating. Be interested to hear the perspectives of participants as opposed to politicians.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rumblings in the Twitterverse that the race has been cancelled.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Might be the most idiotic decision since regulating the size of your sodas. He has also ensured he'll never hold another political office again. The minute he starts spouting off about running for president as an independent, someone will just point out he made this dumbass decision and that'll be the end of that.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/21-photos-taken-near-where-the-nyc-marathon-starts

Draft saved Draft deleted