1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should marriage be monogamous?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Woman I once knew told me of how her serial cheating husband proposed to her:

"Our accountant says we need to get married."

2. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Yep, no question that in a nation of 315 million people, those 125,000 people who live in Hollywood can radically skew the marriage stats.

Especially because Hollywood has such a strongly heterosexual population.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd imagine most of the people did intend to be monogamous and got tired/bored after a few years, or after many years.

Then there's just the new and different way of thinking -- which appears to be especially popular within the gay community, as one of the articles in the OP notes -- that humans are hard-wired not to pair off.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So the people who fought tooth-and-nail for the right to be married really don't want marriage after all?

5. LongTimeListener

No, they want marriage. It's just a different definition of monogamy -- seemingly one that both sides of the couple are OK with. And I think the answer to the question is also, Look, X percent of people cheat in a marriage, and we know people have a hell of a time staying faithful, so why not allow this kind of freedom if it doesn't detract from the relationship? As I've been saying, not my cup of tea, but there is a younger group of people more comfortable with the idea that love and sex are not synonymous and often have nothing to do with each other.

All of the reading on the topic is pretty interesting.

6. old_tony

That's not "a different definition of monogamy." It's not monogamy at all.

But the definition of marriage had to be changed to appease them. I guess words just have no meaning with some groups. It's just "Do what you want, when you want, don't worry about the consequences, then blame society for actually having standards."

7. LongTimeListener

Bad word choice by me. I should have said "different definition of commitment" or something.

But you're a conservative. You're supposed to not care what their sex lives are about.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And now tony is lumping all same-sex couples together. No shock there.

For once I agree with you on one point. Even if the couple agrees to allow sex with people outside the marriage, that is not monogamy. But to sit there and act as if same-sex couples are the only ones who have such agreements simply demonstrates ignorance.

I do know more than one heterosexual couple that does this. The couple I know best, they have been married a long time and seem very happy with one another. They are choosing what is right for them. At the end of the day, they always return to one another. That is their definition of commitment, though it isn't monogamy.

Could I do it? Hell no. My marriage is monogamous and neither of us would have it any other way. That doesn't mean it is right for everybody else.

9. old_tony

Point taken. And, as an aside, we've gone back and forth in not-so-friendly manners before. Thanks for simply debating points without demonizing or taking personal shots. When you do so, you're a credit to your side.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps someday you'll learn from his example.

11. old_tony

Obviously, you never will.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Better than nonogamous, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted