1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should marriage be monogamous?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think there is a legal basis to ban it.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's certainly true, according to the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr049.pdf

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

so does the pro-bigamy crowd back away slowly if the idea is opened up to one woman marrying several guys?

Polygamy: for the person who wants to have a threesome but thinks sex outside of marriage is wrong

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

"The probability of a first marriage reaching its 20th anniversary was 52% for women and 56% for men in 2006–2010."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Take a look at the differences in probability according to age at time of marriage, race, and educational level. I would say that at least most of us here do not fall into the 50 percent probability category.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Third sentence of the introduction. "Current estimates of divorce indicate that that about half of first marriages end in divorce."

7. It's not.
    Who ever said it was or would be easy?
    It's hard. On a near-daily basis. Harder still when kids are involved. Or there is a crisis.
    But it is also rewarding.

I just think too many people (unprepared) jump into too soon.

FWIW: I think legalizing polygamy is the next logical step. It's not the government's god damn business what couples want to do or live behind closed doors. It ain't for me and I may not like the idea but if they aren't seeking government assistance, it's fine by me.

8. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Marriage is a relationship, and every relationship is different.

I have friends who have been married for 25 years or more and are totally monogamous.

Know other couples where one or the other partner isn't remotely monogamous.

In both cases, some of the marriages fail, while others succeed.

The point is every marriage contract is an individual contract between two partners and they are the only ones who get to negotiate the terms.

There isn't any one-size-fits-all set of rules that applies universally.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am not a proponent of polygamy.

But I do believe that most people are built to be polyamorous.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Also, while half of marriages end in divorce, that doesn't mean that half the people who get married get divorced. Hollywood six- and seven-timers skew the statistics.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The stat being studied is first marriages.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

To answer the question in the thread title: Yes. Hell yes.

If you don't intend to be monogamous, why the fuck are you getting married in the first place?

Draft saved Draft deleted