1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should marriage be monogamous?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can we get back to the right to bone it like you own it even if someone else owns it?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was with college friends last weekend, and a group of active guys from the house joined us, as well, for some free beer as they withstood our stories.

Anyway, someone brought up what everyone's "number" was in college - I think the current students wanted to see how they compared to the legends.

So the numbers start flying:

"Three."

"Ten."

"Six."

"Forty-seven."

"Forty-seven???!!!"

"I'm gay, though, so it's not 47 women."

Me: "Oh, that explains it."

"Oh, us gays just fucking all the time, right? No self-control."

Me: "Substitute 'guys' for 'gays,' and you nailed that sentence."

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're starting to scare me a little. That's just hyperbole, right?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One could also ask, in light of today's ruling, why is bigamy illegal?

5. Easier said than done, my man!

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If one was salty over the ruling and wanted to be foolish, they could. Sure.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be a dick, but there's historical and religious precedence for polygamous marriage.

It's prevalent today in Islam and among fundamentalist Mormons. With the right plaintiffs, why should a court disallow it?

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You may not being trying to be a dick, but you are parroting a DEDW talking point. Is that something you want to do?

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, I know.

And, I don't think that's a good enough reason for not allowing gay marriage.

But, if you're intellectually honest, I think you have to at least be open to it.

I guess the biggest argument against it might be that it actually does harm society (i.e. there not being enough brides to go along, ant the fact that women have historically been forced into such marriages, often at a very young age).

Is that a good enough reason to prevent someone who already has a wife from taking a second one?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, those are the reasons, and they are good enough. I get the argument that it's paternalistic. But I'm not a libertarian.

11. YankeeFan

I though, based on previous postings, that you did not object to polygamy, and thought it should be allowed by the courts.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hey, we're talking about sex with multiple partners. The last way to get that is to marry all of them!

Draft saved Draft deleted