1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should marriage be monogamous?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That "half end in divorce" stat is incredibly misleading when broken down.

Among college-educated women who get married at age 25 or later, the divorce rate is 20 percent. Similar age, education and socioeconomic factors go up and down the ladder for men and women. It's especially touchy around the topic of race, but the fact is white people divorce far less too. I don't even know if the "half" rate is entirely true for all marriages, but I do know it's entirely misleading without some context of what kind of background each person brings to the relationship.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not true.

And becoming less and less true all the time.

3. Dick Whitman

One indication our society is progressing is how women now seem much more inclined to abstain from postmarital sex.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Marriage as an institution is down.

So, couldn't it be possible that the people who do go through with the shenanigans are very committed to the "idea of marriage" as opposed to a couple who have been living together for 15 years and see no point to the ceremonial aspect?

5. Marriage isn't outdated.
    The lack of fucking commitment is gone!
    When something is broke you try to fix it. You stick with it.
    My parents marriage is miserable. My sister has gone through two husbands and is working on grinding up a third.
    My marriage is good , so far (fingers crossed).
    I have been married 15 years. I was a hound dog when I was single. Not since I have been married.
    My wife and I are both 40. She's looks like an underwear model (Zumba classes six days a week). if she cheated on me I'd kill her. Period.
    I wouldn't cheat on her. I took a vow.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think yours is more an indictment of the lack of commitment and loyalty than marriage.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Probably more true that people don't see marriage and children as linked. I think in California it's 42 percent of kids who are born to unmarried parents, most of whom are not living together either. I don't think there are great numbers of people living together that long and not getting married -- some, for sure, but not a big enough percentage to account for any kind of change.

7. Dick Whitman

Yes.

8. I think that's misleading ... Rich men could afford to cat around. Women had few rights and were regarded as property. Divorce, which was largely unheard anyway of left them with nothing. And no place to go.
    I don't think there was an alternative answer to: Men cheat accept it.
    That's not the case anymore.

9. Bodie_Broadus

I wish more people felt the way you do.

Aside from the murder part.

10. Dick Whitman

Not to threadjack, but I have no idea how in sam hell single mothers (or single fathers) do it. I get two or three hours of shift work with my two hellions, and I'm begging my wife to come take over.

Actual text last night: "I'll give you $1,000 if you come home in the next 20 minutes."

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well that's going to be unfortunate when we get married and then I have boytoys.

12. Bodie_Broadus

My mom did a damn good job. Granted my gramma helped a lot, but my brother and I both have degrees, jobs we love and are pretty damn content.

Draft saved Draft deleted