1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mark Prior just retire?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by McNulty, May 17, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Season-ending (did his season ever start?) for Prior:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080601&content_id=2813827&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2. If a tree falls in a forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it make a sound ... If a player's season never starts, can he/she have season-ending surgery?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Did we once have a really huge fight on here when someone suggested, after Beckett closed out the Yankees in the WS, that Becket was Prior's equal, if not the better pitcher? And then someone went totally apeshit?

I swear I didn't make that up. And since it involved the Marlins, I have to assume Simon Cowbell/Pube was involved.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No one pointed out that the thread title rhymes?

Yes he should
    Like Kerry Wood.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You mean Kerry Wood, with 14 saves, a sub-3.00 ERA and sub-1.00 WHIP? That Kerry Wood?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That doesn't rhyme.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Poetic license.

8. I hate you.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, I predict this will soon be the crux of a big controversy: the agent of a dynamite young pitching prospect who develops arm problems, orders his client to walk off the mound after certain pitch counts.

It won't take too many more Dusty Bakers to make it happen.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

As long as there is a Carl Pavano still collecting a paycheck, there is no way Mark Prior should ever retire.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Scariest closer I've seen in a long time. Every time I am able to catch a game that is close enough to bring him in, he finds a way t make a mess of it. I think I saw everyone of his blown saves early on, and now everytime I see him now, he's pitching himself into a jam - now finding a way to pull out the save, but still not making it easy. Nothing automatic. I can't watch him any more. For a fat man it's not good for the heart. Actually I can't think of the last Cubs closer I had an ample amount of confidence in.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

(Jim Rome mode on)
    Dear Mark,

Please retire.

Signed,
    Your Right Arm

(/out)

Draft saved Draft deleted