1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should lengthy features be written with sub-headings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Oct 30, 2009.

1. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

I'm talking about newspaper features that are broken up by bold sub-headings throughout the story. Do you guys think this is a better way to write longer pieces than just writing straight through without the headings? And is there a change in approach to writing the story with headings, as opposed to writing one without them?

I guess I'm partly wondering because I'm writing a feature right now, and wanted to see what everyone's take on this is.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depends on the story. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ialways put in suggested subheads, knowing that the desk can eliminate or replace them if they want.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sometimes subheads...sometimes simple text breaks -- three boxes, three bullets, whatever your style is.

My preference when I wrote was text breaks over subheads, but that was me personally...

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

It also can depend on your newspaper and what your editor wants to do.
    You might try talking to your editor about it instead of wondering what everyone here thinks.

7. ayahuasca

ayahuasca New Member

Wow.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow?
    You work on a piece that long and you don't talk to your editor? But you get nine different opinions from SJ and pick the one you like best?

So you take SF's opinion (a good one but maybe NOT your paper's style) and use bullets as text breaks. So you submit the piece and your editor asks: Why bullets when our style is subheads? What's your answer? Wow?

My point being, newspapers have different styles. You should know or at least ask what style your paper uses and follow it.

9. ayahuasca

ayahuasca New Member

Noted, but you seem to be implying that the last thing this board is for is bouncing ideas off other journalists... I'm sure the guy is going to speak with his editor, but it seems he just wants some friendly input.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no problem with people bouncing ideas off each other. But if you're asking a specific style poimnt, the first thing to do is ask your editor what your paper's style is.

I realize a lot of younger writers think editors are the enemy. But I'm an old editor who believes you can actually improve the way things are done and save repetitive work if writers and editors actually TALK TO EACH OTHER!

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Point taken, but why so hostile?

12. spud

spud Member

Yeah I thought the same. This kind of thread seems to be the exact thing this board is designed for. Who says he hasn't or won't talk to anybody on his desk?

Draft saved Draft deleted