1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Journalists Accept an Invitation to the State Dinner?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Their name is on a public list accessible even to sportsjournalists.com. I don't think the boss is gonna be kept out of the loop.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But who shot the lower score?

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Haha how did you know it was at a golf course? Let me just say that was a miserable 4 hours.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Odds are that if you've met John Boehner, it was at a fundraiser or a golf course.

5. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

You must have plenty of tanning tips from that day.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I take the opposite approach. I avoid those banquets like the plague. If I do go, it's to get pictures of the people being honored. If I had to eat, I would only do it if I had the opportunity to pay (and I would clear that first with my boss so I get reimbursed).
    To me, the shindig at the White House would be the same thing. If I went, I would be there to cover it. I wouldn't eat unless it was paid for either by me out of pocket or (more likely) by my media organization.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

Absolutely, they should attend. They're not going to honor Hu, they're taking the opportunity to network.

And to crossthread, I still believe that its crass for reporters to take a free round at Augusta. But if they were playing with PGA types and could use it as a chance to network and make better sources, I'd be all for it.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In this case, because politics is more important than integrity.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fuck Hu. Integrity is more important.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Don't see any Real Housewives on that list.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yeah, because that's important for the egos who go.

12. I don't even know if our schools have team banquets. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted