1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Journalists Accept an Invitation to the State Dinner?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jan 19, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do entertainment reporters get invited to the Oscars as guests? I don't know. Certainly they have a working area (and red carpet access) for the press, but I'm not sure they get invited.

As a reporter (not that I am one, or ever was) I would be able to cover an event honoring Hu, but I wouldn't attend an event honoring him as a guest.

And, much as I dislike Michael Moore, I wouldn't compare him to Hu.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's just silly. If you are a reporter covering Washington and/or politics, you don't get to turn your nose up at an event like this.

If you went as a guest, it would be to schmooze and make connections, not to support whoever is being thrown the state dinner. This is called diplomacy.

3. YankeeFan

I'm talking about two different things.

I, YankeeFan, would not attend an event honoring Hu. If I have time tomorrow, I might even go protest against him in Chicago. (And I'm not a "protest" kind of guy.)

As a reporter, I can see the justification of attending. But I can also see the conflict. The decision to attend as a reporter should be based on the ethics, not who's being honored.

4. YankeeFan

BTW, Boehner, Reid, and McConnell all declined to attend.

Though I know Boehner is attending a "business" meeting with him. Maybe the others are to, I'd have to look it up.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is wrong for Boehner not to be there. What is wrong with that guy.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe the question is should journalists attend. I say they should. I see no ethical conflict whatsoever.

7. YankeeFan

He's probably got a fund raiser to attend. That's twice now he's turned down invitations from the President in a week.

8. YankeeFan

Do you think they needed the approval of their boss to attend?

If they did, and I'm betting they did, then there's at least an ethical question. Now, the decision was obviously to approve it, but, you don't need to ask for approval to attend most dinners.

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The bottom line is that people will want to read about this event. So there will need to be reporters present to provide some content about it. So what are they supposed to do, sit up in a press box and write a game story about a dinner? Of course not. They are given a seat at a table like everyone else.

Does it mean they HAVE to write a nice, positive piece about it? Nope. Their job is to report what happens. It's really no different than any other assignment that is seen as a "perk." The journalists who get to go to Hawaii and cover the Pro Bowl probably see that as a pretty sweet perk. But they are still there to do their job just like the writers at the White House.

10. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

If you're not trying to sneak in, I see no problem.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, they can go. But don't think of taking that free T-shirt from a coach.

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Unrelated to the topic but relevant to your comment ----- I actually met Boehner last summer. Guy was a total ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted