1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should it be THIS bad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 5, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, that is somebody who doesn't stop and think about what he is doing or saying.

2. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

I work in a very cliquish newsroom that, at times, is too much like a junior high schoolyard.

There's a small group of editors -- you know, the 'cool kids' -- who only work days and look down at the night crew. This group is too good for that. How many inside jokes and putdowns can you throw out there? If you call them on it, though, you become the unpopular one and have to deal with a whole new world of bullshit.

While we have some very talented people on staff, we also have people that are WAY too full of themselves. Sun rises and sets on their say-so.

Here's the problem from my end: my boss is a pretty good guy to work for and the salary and bennies are great and I'm in a part of the country that I like. How do I deal with the b.s. -- I just go about my work ... if anyone wants to chat with me, fine, but I'm not one to start conversation. I try to let my production speak for itself.

Am I wrong for having this attitude or do I need a change of scenery?

3. Wow, this message board can be like that ... at times ...

As far as change of scenery, it's always good to be looking ...

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

become bitter, that will help.

5. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

How can I become bitter if I'm already there?? :D

6. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

At the newsroom I work at, the newside may as well be on a different planet. We're the ones having fun - while getting our work done of course - while they're trying to win the competition of who has the least personality.

I have to walk through the newsroom to get to my desk in the sports dept, which is tucked away in a back corner, barely get acknowledged when I walk in.

So I did the next best thing, I don't acknowledge them. Probably haven't exchanged more than 50 words with either of them, even though they're a few feet away.

Draft saved Draft deleted