1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should it be THIS bad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Third source?!? Get outta here, already.

Anyway, one connection I have found regarding who's in the office is how much I work from there. If I like the dynamics, I tend to be around a little more; if I don't, I'm more likely to be in the upstairs office at home.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, you leave me out of this! lol

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I can't say that in my experiences there have been an abundant amount of newsroom babes.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

If that doesn't say carpe diem, I don't know what does.

Seriously, to everyone that hates their job, does it carryover into your everyday life? Do you bring it home with you/ does it just make you generally less happy knowing that you hate doing the thing you probably spend more time doing that anything else? If so, how do you deal with it?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

For me, it makes me appreciate my days off more than I have inthe past. I used to work all the time. Rarely took days off, rarely used vacation days. I loved the job that much.
    Now, when I'm off work, you're lucky to get a hold of me.
    You could say my social life has improved because of my horrific professional life.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

One of the best pieces of advice I got was to try and make friends outside of the newsroom. I know it sounds easier said than done, but you should really make an effort.

If you limit yourself to friends at work, and your work environment sucks, what are you going to do? Join a rec sports league, take some classes at the local junior college or something.

Go out of your way to meet people outside of work!

(Ben Stiller's Starsky and Hutch voice) Do it. Do it now.

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I used to like my current job until about the first of the year. To help with that, I've been exercising more and practicing some other coping strategies. I do my work, speak to higher management only when I have to and try my best to leave everything at the office. I use to check email at home, but that's also getting rarer. I've been doing some volunteering on our least busiest day and I've been taking more vacation days.
    For me, the big thing is trying to remember that there are some things that are out of my control such as other people, their actions and certain aspects of the paper.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Son of a bitch!
    It's happened again. Some chick sent me an e-mail to tell me something instead of just turning her damn head 60 degrees and just saying it.
    Are you fuckin kidding me!
    I've never been in such an anti-social newsroom where people go out of their way to avoid working with other people. Maybe I'm just having a rough week at the office. I need a vacation.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Next time she sneezes send her an e-mail that says: Bless you.

Or, say "thank you" to her out loud for passing along the e-mailed message. Maybe she'll get the point.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is strange. I would have telephoned.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Was the fax broken?

Draft saved Draft deleted