1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Today, you're in the wrong job. But in a week or two, you may improve to the point where that is no longer the case.

Small sample size.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Are you sure the company wouldn't report it to the DMV?

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And speaking of lining up other jobs, think of the opportunities this could lead to if you do get this down.

Perhaps an Amazon job like the one Austin Murphy had, or, better yet, UPS or Fed Ex driving work. Don't laugh. UPS and Fed Ex offer good jobs, and real careers with good benefits, for people who stay a while.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If you leave this job without giving notice today, what will you do for income? How long can you last with no income?

No offense, but it seems you are searching for reasons to leave this job ASAP. Don't do it.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s one assclown’s opinion. Fuck him.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is information you should speak to your supervisor, or company management, about. Get clarity and understanding on it, for your own knowledge and peace of mind. It might be a case of company coverage, etc., but find out how such incidents/situations get reported, recorded, or could come back on you, both job-wise and on your overall driving record.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

SP, I hope this doesn’t come out wrong, but maybe some of this job anxiety is coming as a result of you just recently going through an extremely stressful time taking care of your mother?

It’s stressful enough starting any new job, especially in a field you are brand-new in. It’s unbelievably stressful to take care of and then lose one of your parents.

Maybe just take a few steps back, take some deep breaths and, instead of worrying about asshole co-workers, just concentrate on taking things a few minutes at a time?

Good luck.

Dyno, wicked and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I know that if it happens, you do have to take a drug test, fill out a report and serve a suspension, but I don't know if or how it would affect my insurance premiums.

From what I've heard, I don't think switching to the day shift is a good idea. They tend to expect much more to be done, even if it means speeding or taking more risks.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Better yet, collect dirt on him and get him fired.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

SP, I'm not sure because I don't know what state you work in (I'm in CA). In CA, employee loses from negligence are considered one of the costs of doing business and the company is legally required to absorb that cost and an employee is not liable (myth that broken dishes come out of your paycheck, um now welcome to a class action for refund of those illegal takings from their paychecks.)

Ask your supervisor and then call your local bar assoc or go to a legal clinic and ask. I highly doubt it but don't know for sure.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My father was in wholesale lumber and plywood for many years. He told a story about visiting a warehouse in Chicago that had extremely tight parking. There was a security guard there that made would watch drivers back up repeatedly trying to hit the loading dock. Once they got frustrated he'd walk over and offer to park it for $20, and nail it, because he knew the lot and they didn't. He'd make maybe $100 cash extra a week on it.

First off, if you do decide you can't hack it, give notice like you're supposed to do.

There are people at work who are toxic. Fuck'em and what they say. Do your job and ignore them. You get better with repetition.

As to the driving, ask about how the insurance works. I would expect that minor dings around the lot fall under "shit happens". If you are on the road and wreck, expect to be drug tested immediately afterward. The insurance for most companies with people on the road requires that. If you turn up positive, even if it was from the Friday poker game three weeks ago, you're fired and possibly liable.

That said, dents and dings are just part of the rent car business. If you're doing it too much, you'll hear about it. Other than that, let them snicker and bitch. Their opinion does not matter.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Backing up a truck and doing it straight for the first time is like dick measuring for some guys.

You'll get better the more you do it.

You'll probably be their supervisor in 5 years. Stick with it. Fuck them.

Oh, you are not in the newsroom anymore. You are in the middle school locker room. That's the mentality.

sgreenwell and Vombatus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.