1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the thread about the former SI writer who is now a waiter, last week I started a job driving for a company that services rental car companies.

The job involves driving cars to various car rental sites within about an hour of the company's regional headquarters and taking other cars to a lot at the airport where they are to be cleaned.

As one person noted, it was somewhat ironic that I'd take this job and many of you probably thought I wasn't cut out for this job.

Six days into the job, it's becoming more and more obvious anyone who thought that is right.

So why did I take the job? In February I was let go from a sports editor job that I held for 19 years. Realizing that there's nothing there for me anymore in that line of work, I set my sights on jobs using similar skills, copywriting, content marketing, PR, corporate communication, report writer/editor for a financial services company, etc. After sending out countless resumes, it became obvious to me that whatever transferable skills that I thought I had were not as marketable as I thought.

I've been doing some freelancing for a paper I worked for 20 years ago, but with the high school season ending next month, I knew I needed a more reliable paycheck, so that's how I ended up with this job.

It's third shift, four days a week, 10 1/2 hours a day. Because I'm working overnight I get an extra $2 an hour and actually make more than I did when I was a sports editor.

As part of the interview, they did give me a driving test and apparently, I passed. In the last few weeks, however, I realized that I'm just not good enough a driver to do the job. It sometimes requires maneuvering large vehicles, SUVs and passenger vans in tight quarters. I'm not used to driving something that big and trying to back it into a space that it doesn't look like it will fit into even when it really can.

The supervisor doesn't have a problem with me, but some of the other people in the crew do. One asked "What's so hard about backing up?" Well, nothing if you have enough room to do it. The guy also told another guy in the crew about me "He can't drive."

Now I guess I could get better at it in time and it's just a matter of getting used to it. I'm just worried about hitting something while I'm still learning and getting points on my license. That's why I'm inclined to quit without giving notice, because I don't want to risk that.

I know quitting before I get another job is not the smartest thing to do and I won't be able to get back on unemployment, but I don't want to hit something and have to pay for it. Sadly apparently, I have no marketable skills so I don't know what I'll do.

In retrospect, I should have realized that the job required skills that are above and beyond basic everyday driving and should not have applied.

Should I quit or just do the best I can and let management fire me if it's necessary?

Liut likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You say your supervisor is ok with your work. Have you sat down and had a full-on assessment of your performance?

If your coworkers are bullying you — that’s what sounds like could be happening — I wouldn’t rely on their assessments.

I’ve been working at the same place for seven years, in the same role for six. I didn’t feel comfortable until ... probably the fourth year. Maybe that speaks more to me than the difficulty of the job. You’re not going to improve at your job if you’re always beating yourself up, though. If your boss is patient, be patient too.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath.

Relax.

Keep driving.

You'll get better.

Liut, sgreenwell, jlee and 7 others like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Be patient. Park slowly.

Avoid negative self talk.

Be more confident. Build confidence.

Make sure the vehicle’s mirrors are aligned for you.

And hell, sometimes when I back up, I’ll open the driver’s side door and peek at the parking spot lines just to see how close I am to the line and neighboring car. Just be sure to close the door and then resume backing up. Do not sheer it off against the other vehicle!

I’d be wary of conversations with too many coworkers. Some could be friendly, but many might be dicks. Be careful and assess them wisely. If this subject comes up again, I’d say positive things like you are getting used to it, instead of revealing doubts about yourself to them.

Hang in there. You can do it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You're in a new role - give it more time before deciding you can't do the job. And there is no upside whatsoever to quitting on your own.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Don't look at it from the point of "what might happen."

Look at it from the point of "what will happen" if you quit without notice.

No more paychecks - how much do you have in savings and how long can you last with no paychecks coming in? You won't get any kind of reference for this job if you quit without notice. Will you include it on your resume and chance a potential employer calling them and see what happened? If you won't list it, how will you explain the gap in your resume?

Face it, you are damn lucky to have found a job where you are making more than you did after 19 years as an SE. If you are desperate to get out of there, blanket the world with your resume and network with everyone you've ever met before. I was in your shoes a couple of years back, and was shocked to see some of the jobs and recruiters out there who DO value the skills you get in the profession. All it takes (and took for me) was a lucky break where the stars aligned and everything came together at the right time.

Like others said, work on your driving skills, don't listen to idiot co-workers and continue to grow as a person every day. And don't quit without notice (and without another job in hand).

Tweener likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's your problem: You black out for weeks at a time and are unaware of it.

Stoney, Buck, Songbird and 3 others like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Screw the other workers, you’ve done this 6 days, they’ve done it what 6 yrs? Of course they’re better. Your supervisor likes you because he knows you’re dependable and professional and he can rely on you. The parking will come in time, he’s willing to wait. As for the points driving? If you hit something on private property that’s likely not a violation.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Stay at the job but start laying the foundation for whatever it is your really like to do for the next 10-15 years.

We’re journalists. We research things that interest us. Find your “thing”.

playthrough and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Isn't a co-worker saying I can't drive, not to me but to another co-worker while I was there, a giveaway that maybe I'm in the wrong job?

Or am I at a point where it doesn't matter if I'm in the wrong job or not or if I don't have what it takes to do the job?

I didn't apply for jobs at Amazon's warehouse or an overnight stocking crew at a supermarket because I know I'm not up to the kind of pace those jobs require.

I guess the time for me to realize I wasn't up to what this job required was before I applied.

I made my bed and now I have to sleep in it?

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Who cares what a co-worker says? You shouldn’t. Even if you are in the “wrong” job, it’s a steady paycheck and that should be the thing that matters most if you truly believe you have no other prospects.

Keep at it, it should get better, and keep networking and getting your resume out there in the meantime.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Remember that this is a new job. No matter what the work involves, and even if you think, at first glance, it should be relatively easy, it probably won't be, at least not initially, no matter what it is. Almost any work has its harder/less-than-ideal parts, and usually, things are not quite as easy as other people think.

As far as difficulty in reversing and handling large vehicles, that will probably come with practice. Most things do not feel "comfortable" right off the bat. Especially new things. Look at it as gaining new skills. That's what you've got to do. And you'll probably be glad you stuck with it in the end, just for that.

I learned to use an electric pallet jack, called a walkie-stacker, and am in the process of getting licensed to use a "scissor-lift," both large power-equipment tools that I'd had NO exposure to before coming to Walmart. You can bet I was a little nervous, and imperfect, until I got more practice and experience on the walkie-stacker, and an assistant manager's word of caution that the scissor-lift "takes getting used to" wasn't exactly encouraging. But I know that they're both very useful, legitimate and valuable skills that not everyone has, and I want them, and I've always looked for opportunities to develop and grow in different ways. I'm now even giving thought to getting licensed (through Walmart) to drive a forklift, and it could happen, relatively easily, if I want it.

For you, I'd look at handling large vehicles and maneuvering in tight spaces the same way. It just takes time and effort. Take this opportunity you have, and give it some of both before you throw in the towel.

One thing I think I would do if I were you -- although it would mean a loss of some money -- is to see if maybe you can get on day-shift work. You might feel more comfortable doing such things in the light/day time, at least until you've gained confidence. And, just the more-normal biorhythms/schedule might be helpful in terms of stress and your general comfort level and happiness.

But unless your supervisor has issues with you, or you absolutely hate the work, I think I'd give yourself more than a week or two to get used to this new job.
    Especially if you don't have anything else lined up yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.