1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I let my son quit football?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My JV year our quarterback/safety got hurt and we sucked. We went from being 8-1 as freshmen to 3-7 on JV and we had about seven people quit (including four starters) because they didn't like losing and our coach was visibly frustrated and not the most pleasant person to be around.

Three of those guys came out for varsity next year and were told to go home. I always respected that the coach did that. I remember one of them said, "Why?" and the coach just looked at him and said, "You know why."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think there are life lessons to be learned here...

If he sticks it out, I would seriously doubt that he'd regret it.

If he quits, I would bet he will regret it.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

When MTM's son is sucking dick for rock 10 years from now, he'll be able to trace it all back to letting his son quit freshman football.

Jesus Fucking Christ. Lot of Steve Martins on this thread.

YOU MADE ME PLAY SECOND BASE!!!!!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What about football would have suprised him?

How much money did you spend getting him ready to play freshman football?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Rule in my parent's house was if you started a season, you finished the season. And I wanted to quit 3rd-grade hoops after 10 minutes of the first practice. But I knew the rule and I did not quit, or even ask.

That is the rule in my house now, and my one child who is capable of playing organized sports has known it since 1st grade.

And I think, at any age, it's a good message. That, and your kid doesn't sound like the kind to let his grades suffer.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm shocked this is even controversial.

A 15-year-old doesn't want to play a dangerous sport. Don't make him. End of story.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ugh. I'll play, for reasons I can't quite explain.

What the fuck is your point? Spit it out, junior.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

See if he had wanted to quit after a day or even a week, I can understand that. But it sounded like he has been in for a while but got shaky when it got to the hardest part of the season.

For those who haven't guessed, parenting is 90% art, 0.00001% science and the rest dumb luck.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

SportsJournalists.com: Single dudes who still wear their fraternity caps dishing out parenting wisdom for the ages.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

While we are at it, I probably would not let them call people "junior."

Why didn't you respond to Three bags?

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Yeah, unless his lack of commitment leads to getting hurt in some stupid practice for meaningless games he's probably not gonna play in anyway.

Anyway, I'm not sure a decision regarding underclassman high school football is a referendum on this kid's personality.

Sometimes, realizing an activity is a waste of time and making one's own life decision is more valuable than "sticking it out" just so daddy and his buddies can't call you a "quitter."

Draft saved Draft deleted