1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I let my son quit football?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what the coach is trying to do (Again, unless these players are specifically being sat out for disciplinary or injury reasons).

If he doesn't play every single player on the roster who is physically available to play in a 69-0 game, whatever he's trying to do is bullshit.

If he's trying to build a "winning team," apparently it ain't working too fucking good. What's he afraid of, if he puts in the scrubs he's going to lose 79-0? He needs to keep the superstar starters in to maintain their brilliant level of performance?

If you have a freshman team going 5-8 and losing games 69-0, one of your biggest problems almost certainly is keeping enough players in the program to have full rosters at the JV and varsity levels.

If you keep freshman players on the bench in 69-0 blowouts, they quit. They don't play JV or varsity.

That's how you end up with 16 players on the JV team and 19 on the varsity, and that's how your varsity ends up going 1-9.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I spent enough time covering high school football in my 20s to know what those cycles are like for a high school football team.
    Could be the case here. I'm not going to jump to that conclusion, and I don't think it's relevant.

I think a kid who joins a team sport should be encouraged to see the season through. Disliking the coach or having a bad coach is not a good reason to quit the team. There could be very good reasons for quitting, but they weren't presented in MTM's scenario.
    The kid saw it through, and I think that's the right call.
    However, if the kid doesn't enjoy it or doesn't like the coach or whatever, then he shouldn't go out for the team the next season.

Draft saved Draft deleted