1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I go to my 10-year reunion or not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Nov 27, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was actually thinking that, somewhat seriously. Now that Facebook can put you in touch with just about anyone within 20 seconds--and can allow groups of people to organize impromptu mini-reunions--is the actual reunion going to become a thing of the past? Can't tell you how many unofficial reunions I've heard of/been a part of in the last 18 months.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I got an e-mail last night announcing my 40th next September. I'm looking forward to it already.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I had mine a couple years ago and it was fun. We had a picnic and then everyone hit the bar later.

Only 10 or 15 showed up for the picnic (our graduating class was 74) so we just sat around and laughed our asses off. A lot more people showed up at the bar later.

Best story happened when my best friend and I stepped outside for some air and ran into my third-grade best friend. She had gained about thirty pounds and just opened up about spending time in prison. Now mind you, we went to a really small school. She got caught up in a drug bust that I only thought netted one person (but a whole lotta pot and meth-making chemicals) a few years ago. She had some type of federal sealed indictment and everything.

This is from a really tiny town with basically a gas station, half a grocery store and a whole lotta white trash. I remember when my friend's mom asked me if any of us were on the "Podunk List", I told her I would probably shoot myself if I was on any type of list that included Podunk.

Then here was this girl, standing infront of me telling me she found Jesus in prison and it changed her life. It's hard to imagine that shit when you were just little kids running around a farm.

On a brigher note, Dr. J will never have these stories because he will never have any high school reunions. His class president is ranked No. 1 on some High Times list, so I'm pretty sure organizing reunions are not high on his priority list. :D

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tell everyone you're a professional killer.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Mine was Friday. I passed.

I talked to about 15 people during my high school years. I genuinely care about six of them now, with maybe four more I'll follow on Facebook.

Because none of those people were in attendance, I didn't feel like spending my only night off in a week with a group of people who didn't matter to me.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think I am going to go to my 10 year high school reunion when it comes up in a couple of years.

I was very involved in high school, probably overly involved and I really hated every minute of it. I only did the clubs so I could get into a good college and I really wish I would have focused more on academics and sports. Regardless, the only people I talk to from high school are the people that I ran cross country and track with — none were in my graduating class.

I had three really good buddies in my grade in high school, but one moved to Tennessee and the other two I only see for Fantasy Football. There's another three to four people I see about 2-3 times per year and that's about it.

I guess I'll be that jerk that doesn't go, but I just don't feel like catching up with anyone else. If I wanted to I could always message them on Facebook I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted