1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I go to my 10-year reunion or not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My 10-year HS reunion starts in two hours and I still haven't decided if I want to go.
    I had plenty of friends in high school, but once I got to college I made new ones who are much more involved in my life than anyone I went to high school with.
    Part of me wants to go, another part of me doesn't care, especially since I'd have to pay $70 and then for whatever booze I drink. I don't want to miss anything, but I don't know how much I'm going to miss and I'll be more annoyed if I pay, get bored, then bounce.
    I went to my five-year, but now I'm engaged and a totally different person than I was and, quite frankly, I remember a lot of kids I went to HS with being judgmental pricks and I don't want to get caught up in that.
    What's my best bet? Because right now, I'm right in the middle and can't make up my mind.

As an aside, my backup play is going to my college buddies' 10-year reunion because I have more friends there - him and his wife and about 10-12 other people - but I think that would be weird.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go. You've changed since your 5th. Maybe they have as well.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Go.

When my five year reunion came, I didn't go, thinking I didn't really like those people when I was in high school and that I wouldn't like them five years later.

I felt the same way for the 10-year, but I went anyway and found out those' judgmental pricks' were just high school kids and that I was the 'judgmental prick' five years later. I actually enjoyed my 10 year reunion.

My 20 year reunion was a few years ago - I'm old - and I went because I had a bigger family, I was a different person and as stereotypes go, I wanted to show off my hot wife, family and even myself. I wasn't a terribly popular kid in school, but I remember my 10 year reunion being totally non-cliqueish. Just people hanging out and remembering each other and swapping stories about what's been going on over the years.

People who weren't really my friends during HS became my friends after the reunions.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm going to my 25th tonight.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, what's up with reunions on Thanksgiving weekend? Our reunions are held in the summer.

6. Smallpotatoes

I could see it for the fifth when presumably many classmates might still be in college, but by 10l, 20 ot 25, one might think that wouldn't matter anymore.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What's the point of a five-year reunion?

8. Smallpotatoes

That's why I didn't go to mine.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Reunions from my school are traditionally on Thanksgiving weekend as well. The thought is that people are back in the area to visit their parents. Also, it's a long weekend for lots of people (sorry journalists).

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It costs $70 and you can just show up and pay?

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

35 a person. We were supposed to buy tickets ahead of time, but I sent an e-mail saying I wouldn't know until Thanksgiving Day because if our games got rained out, I'd likely be working tonight.
    I decided I'm going. Worst case, I leave early and head to the local 99, where a couple people who don't want to go decided to start an unofficial reunion.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People can go to both boards reunions?

Draft saved Draft deleted