1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I go back and pay for this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Go back and pay for it. It's an honest mistake.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I forgot to add, when the clerk checked me in, he said the headlight thing would be recorded on the work order as a bulb replacement, since they don't have the restoration in their computer system.
    He said the cost would be readjusted at checkout.
    There is a $1 charge for bulb replacement on my reciept.
    The guy who checked me out is the guy who did the work, I believe.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For those advocating that he go back and pay extra, one question:

They estimated the bill at $115, billed him $95. Had the work come out to $140, do you think they'd have charged him the estimated price or the full price?

Because it sounds to me like the guy just comped the lightbulb labor.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll just be blunt about it.

Fuck em' [Walmart].

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

let it go.

or if you go back to correct the error, be sure to get gas money for the return trip.

if you think that's silly, consider your moral dilemma solved.

eff 'em. a $20 mistake? don't sweat it a moment longer. an amount more substantial? then we can talk.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. Plus, a lot of car-repair places will offer to comp a small charge if you agree to have the bigger operation done. I just had that happen last week at the place where I get my oil change. No big deal.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'm with you two. Some places will lessen the price on labor or something if they do multiple tasks (hell, some cars you have to remove the battery to change the lightbulb anyway...).

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Cashiers get fired over cashier errors. Unless you'd like to advocate for reporters getting fired for a factual error in a story, you shouldn't be so blithe about something that you would CERTAINLY have drama with had that $20 error gone against you.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That or you were forced to pay for those errors. When I worked at the local gas station/convenience store in high school, when you had a "drive off" (someone not paying for the gas they pumped), it either came out of your paycheck or it went to the ATM and whipped out some cash. Worst job in my life.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What exactly is a "headlight restoration"? Sounds suspicious.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

But that isn't what happened, here.

It's not a situation where the guy's bank isn't going to match the register tape. Our narrator paid what was on the bill.

In this case, he merely was charged less than what was estimated. Not common, but it happens. And, as buckdub and ducky say, it happens fairly often when you're having multiple things done to a car -- often because they comp some of the simple labor.

My guess is the guy was either simply being nice or didn't know how to ring in the more expensive headlight charge, so rang in a cheaper service.

Either way, I think in this case, our guy is free and clear ethically.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Walmart by me charges $20 to restore headlights. Ms Slappy checked into it a few weeks ago. Perhaps they misquoted you the first time...

Draft saved Draft deleted