1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I go back and pay for this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 10, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Went to Wal-Mart this morning to get a new car battery. I also decided to get my headlights restored.
    The battery was $75 and the headlights $40.
    When I checked out, an hour later, the total was some $95.
    After paying, I looked at the receipt and didn't see the headlight thing, although about $20 was adding to the cost of the battery in core recycling and other charges.
    I thought perhaps they forgot to do the light thing, but got to the car and saw they did it -- quite well, I may add -- but I was running late for work and just headed out.
    Should I have gone back in and told them? Should I go back tonight?
    Is it different because the headlight cleaning involves mostly labor, and no real cost for parts?
    Is it just the karma of you overpay at one place and it evens out an another?
    I know I should do the right thing, just wondering how some of you would handle this.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, if they overcharged you and you didn't notice, I don't think they'd hunt you down to settle it.

In the long run I say it evens out. If you really feel guilty, donate the amount you were undercharged.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Let's ask Bubbler....

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a wink-and-a-smile thing. I just had a brake inspection done the other day. They said it would be $14.99. When I went in a different guy was checking me out and charged nothing. I had my money out ready to pay. Instead I vamoosed.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's the fucking Evil Empire, go back and pay up.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you should pay, but I don't get the $20 to recycle the battery.

Who don't you offer to give them $20 if they'll give you your battery back.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It was about a $10 charge for battery recycling, I think it's a California thing. There also was as a new cable and sales tax.
    If the charge had been closer to the $75 quoted, I may have realized right away I wasn't charged for the other thing.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, and then crack it open and pour it down a storm drain!

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was gonna say heave it in their dumpster on the way out.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

One time during my college days I was headed to a football game and stopped off at Walmart to buy a cooler. Mind you this was at 6 a.m. so not the brightest of employees were manning the registers. The one I went in had a middle-aged woman who was quite concerned that I had put something in the cooler to try and get it for free. Obviously I didn't, but she was so preoccupied looking in the cooler that she forgot to scan it. I didn't realize it until I got out of the store and noticed it wasn't on the receipt (we bought some food and other snacks as well). I didn't go back to pay for it, but my friend did get shocked by an electrical fence later that day. Karma I guess.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's Wal-Mart. The company's strapped for cash. It can use every penny it can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted