1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I get a Masters from Mizzou or Harvard or Nebraska online to move up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SURFCAV, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I'll be the voice of the pro-Master's degree. Is it required in this field? No. But it's unlikely to actually hurt you.

If you like school, if you like talking about journalism, if you can do it on the cheap, go for it.

That said, and maybe this is a "get off my lawn" moment, but I'm not impressed with online degrees. Most of them come from diploma mills. And those places are very much courting GI Bill students right now. Watch out.

Even if your online-only degree came from a place like Mizzou or Harvard, if I saw that on your resume I would request a transcript just to make sure you're not confusing MOOCs with a degree-seeking program.

For you, specifically: You need to improve your writing and punctuation. People who write for a living rarely forget to put a period at the end of a sentence, even on message boards. You also need a thick skin and be open to feedback. You have demonstrated neither trait.

2. Devote prep time for the GRE. You won't need a high score to get into Mizzou. As for Harvard, I assume it's the extension program, which does make a difference. It is not a "Harvard" degree, no matter what the admissions office will tell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted