1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I get a Masters from Mizzou or Harvard or Nebraska online to move up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SURFCAV, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

SURFCAV, I think if you check, this site could easily be called ex-Sports Journalists. Many of us that have gone back to school to get masters degrees have done so to get of the business, not get deeper into it. In 19 years at a newspaper, I knew two guys who had masters in journalism, and they were both complete fuckups. Journalism isn't like other professions where folks care about the the alphabet soup after your name. You can either write, you can't, or you will work like a rented mule for next to nothing. If it's the third option, it doesn't matter whether or not you can write or what education background you have.

Take your GI Bill money and get a degree in something other than journalism. I left the business to teach high school. My time in the Navy counted toward retirement. If you want to write, as others have said, use your points.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. If I could get my foot in the door for a government job, I would do that. Not sure if military service gives one an inside track or not.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wish I had those preference points. Never got a sniff for the government writing and editing jobs I applied for, and most of them listed salary ranges from $75K up to $125K or even more. Talk about sweet deals ...

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This. My wife is currently an adjunct professor and would love to be a full-time prof, but the only way it's happening is with a Masters. Even though her journalism resume would equal or beat many current professors.

5. Riptide

That's nuts. Academia perpetuating the idea that a piece of paper is more important than years of polished experience in the field.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

May be nuts but it's true.

7. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

Thanks for all the good advice guys. And no I'm not a troll, just a new SE trying to better myself in the business. I'm used to sarcasm in the newsroom and the military, so I hope I didn't offend anyone. I will postpone any Grad school activity until after football season anyways. And after spending over 20 years in the military, the last thing I want to do is work for the govt again. And whoever asked for a beer, I'm opening one right now. They are giving us tomorrow off but we had to finish 2 newspapers tonight. :p

8. Riptide

But also discriminately waived for the right "catch."

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's how academia perpetuates itself. Has been for as long as I can remember. In their world, degrees trump everything. Degrees somehow make a person infinitely smarter than someone without a degree. If you have a Masters, a Doctorate, etc., that trumps decades of real world experience. It's a big part of the reason the disconnect between academia and the rest of society keeps getting broader.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm sure you will discover --- if you haven't already --- that journalism is its own unique animal. It certainly isn't for everyone and you'll have to figure out if the demands, challenges and rewards are right for you. But it's a long way removed from academia in many respects, although getting one's foot in the door without a bachelor's degree can be a challenge unless you have personal connections or were lucky enough to start somewhere really young and work your way up from the inside.

11. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

Thanks Mark, I have a journalism degree from Texas Tech. Was just looking into all the masters programs cuz my post 9-11 GI bill will pay for it since i went to the war. I don't know of any newspaper that pays you more with a Masters anyways, I know cop jobs do in Los Angeles. Since Id rather write about sports then go back to gunfighting for a living I think I'll stick with my day job. May still get that Masters in History so I have something else to fall back on if all the newspapers suddenly fold.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nothing wrong with that. I think the idea people posted here is simply "It won't improve your chances in hunting for journalism jobs".

If you are new to the board, you may or may not realize that quite a few regular posters have left the journalism business in recent years in favor of alternate careers. So nothing wrong with that, either. Best of luck to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted