1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I expense it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smokey33, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

This is gonna seem very complicated and I apologize for that.

Went on a work-related trip recently. Used my off days and flew out a few days early to visit with relatives in the area of where I was going.

My question is about where my obligations end and my company's begin.

I flew (company paid) into and out of an airport a couple hours from where my folks are and from where my event was. Should I expense the hotel (near the airport) the night after the event ended?

If I hadn't visited relatives I would've flown into and out of the airport in the event city. But I may have had to get a hotel the night after the event in the event city anyway, just because there may not have been flights that late.

Also, flying into the event city would've cost the company a few hundred more than they paid to fly me into the in-between city.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here's how I look at it: Once the event is over, you were going to fly home, out of the event city. Instead, you chose to spend a night in a different city. Mileage/car rental from event to edge of town is expensed, flight home is expensed (because it would have been had you flown out of event city) anything beyond that is your own dime (i.e. the last night hotel).

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with Pete's take on the matter.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I disagree. I expense the Sunday night stay on my trips. My business always concludes on a Saturday and flying home on a Sunday is always an option. However, by staying over on Sunday night and flying home on Monday, I save a ton on the flight. More than enough to cover the extra night of hotel. I am still on my business trip, and I do expense that extra night. I don't expense whatever fun I might partake of on Sunday, but I do expense that hotel, since I am there only from the standpoint of saving money on the flight.

5. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

The event ended early in the evening, and there may or may not have even been flights that were available to my burg that late in the day (a connecting flight would be required).

By flying into a different city my ticket cost the company $200 vs. probably $400 to fly into the event city. And I still may have had to stay over the night after the event had I flown into the event city.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Then I say expense that extra night. The fact that you got to visit family in the process is a bonus. Just don't expense any of the costs to go and visit the family. But I really think the hotel is fine to expense.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

As you've probably figured out by now, you should have hashed this out with management and the accounting department before the trip.

The bean-counters at my old gig were complete hard-asses, but they always listened when I explained I was going to save them money by turning trips to Friday night or Saturday afternoon ballgames into three- or four-day weekends during which I'd squeeze in some vacation.

I always offered to eat my fair share of the hotel room and rental car. In turn, there was usually a gentlemen's agreement that they would pay for additional meals to reflect the fact that I was saving them a ton on airfare and by qualifying for weekend rates on the car.

8. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Thanks for the help. I definitely should've ironed out the details in advance.

I'm just gonna turn it in on my expense report. The worst they can do is deny it.

I saved them a ton of money on this trip. At least a $200 savings on airfare, probably $150 on hotels (thanks Priceline), and $100 more on a rental car.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

If flying later and from a different airport meant saving the company significant money on the airline ticket, then to me a night in a hotel at less than the the savings from the cheaper airfare is a fair trade off.
    However, as pointed out before, this is something you hash out with accounting beforehand. If you say to them "allowing me to fly out a day later and staying in a hotel an extra night actually SAVES the company money all told" they'd jump on it in a heartbeat, I'm sure.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I only read the title of your post.

The answer is yes.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'd agree with Pete too, but that being said, if it does save the company, then yeah expense it...but next time work it out in advance.

But my real reason for posting is this: Unless your boss tells you too and they are putting it on the company dime up front, never priceline (at least the name your own price) anything on a business trip.

12. Why not? I'm curious because I've done it in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted