1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ElliotD12, Jan 11, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

my ol' journalism professor who i respected so much used to tell me that you learn the sportswriting craft best by simply doing it. you can read and hear about all of the things that should, need or has to be done, but the best way is to get into the trenches. and write, write, write. back in my teen days, i'd sit in front of the TV set, watch a game and then write about it. i knew right then what i wanted to do.
    i still get a rush on writing about sports and the people involved in it.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'll still say that's a little bit overstated. There is no reason to run away from journalism education like it is the plague. And more important, there is no one right way to become a journalist.

I long said that I didn't learn anything in the classroom that I hadn't already learned in the newsroom. After nearly 30 years in the business, I realize that I just said that because it sounded good, edgy. There were quite a few things, such as libel law, that I needed to learn in the classroom. It's embarrassing how poorly educated many of us are in that area.

There are plenty of solid journalists who followed the tried-and-true route of taking the suggested courses. The only reason I'm agreeing that another major might be in order is that there may not BE journalism as we know it in 20 years.

But if you're going to consider a reporting career, get some training in, well, reporting.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I wish someone would have made this suggestion to me long ago: Major in something else and get a J-minor.

In your case, perhaps a business major would be under consideration since you mentioned a "love" for the business side of sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted