1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ElliotD12, Jan 11, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Major in something else. I'll whore out my college major, English. That could give you more options than a journalism major might.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

elliotD12......go for it, friend. the one word you used that should tell you what direction is go is "love." you said you "love" sports, etc...hey, that's what has kept me in this business for a long, long time...

low pay, long hours, whining parents, don't-have-a-clue-fans, etc.... sure, but i'd much rather be dealing with these things that sitting on my butt being a bank teller from 9-to-5 or selling insurance. every now and then when i might get just a little down about this job, i think of all the people that would die to do the same thing.
    so if you love it that much, overlook some of the so-called "bad" things about it. every job has its drawbacks.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The correct response.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

several years ago, i almost pursued another profession. almost. but every time i was on the verge of making the move, my heart turned out to be the best judge. sure, there's been down times and adversity and mess to deal with, but as i said in an earlier post, that's part of every job. i take a step back and see myself in a pretty dang good situation and profession, albeit with its faults. but if your heart keeps nudging you to be a sportswriter or be a part of this profession, then go for it.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Exactly. There is no need to major in this. You can still write, evidenced by the snide "Citizen Journalism" classes being taught by newspapers in the hopes they will soon have cheap labor (no benefits). By all means major in something else. You don't need that Journalism degree. You can always be a lawyer and still get your fix as a citizen journalist for some newspaper.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm close to being here. I will say it wouldn't be bad for you to take a few journalism classes if you choose to major in something else. Take News Writing, News Reporting, Communications Law & Ethics.

If you like journalism, you're going to want to take those courses anyway.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I think that's an important question. ElliotD12 said he enjoys sports and everything about them, but that doesn't necessarily mean someone is fit for sports journalism. It's a double-edged sword. Someone can like sports, but it takes a certain kind of person who can write about sports.

I'm in the same direction right, ElliotD12. I love sports, but I also enjoy writing about them. I enjoy telling that story about that third-string QB who gets on the field for the first time or the college basketball player who scores a career-high in points during his last game as a senior.

If you like the idea of sports journalism, by all means go for it, but I'd avoid getting a degree in strictly journalism. I have a degree in English/Writing and I don't regret that decision at all today.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes, but the point is there will be no jobs soon. We're not talking about 10 years ago. We're talking about 2 years from now. There are going to be no jobs, just continued cuts as we go all Internet.

9. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Don't do it. Study for a mediocre yet financially secure field, get married, pop out some kids, have an affair, get a divorce, move into a studio apartment, and thank us in 25 years.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are those YMCA rooms still available?

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

You need to stop. Seriously.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is a terrific answer and absolutely correct. I had exactly one undegrad journalism class.

Better to get a broad education and actually learn about something -- history, economics, etc. -- that can provide a strong base.

And "I like sports" isn't a good enough reason to do anything except play sports or watch sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted