1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ElliotD12, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ElliotD12

ElliotD12 New Member

Hey Everybody,

I've been lurking on the board for a while now and have a few questions.

I am graduating from High School in June and am heavily considering studying Sports Journalism in University/College.

While looking at different threads I notice a lot of negativity surrounding Sports Journalism. A lot of discussion of the ability to change careers, the long hours, low pay, etc.

My question is simple. Is it worth getting into Sports Journalism? I love sports. Everything about them. I love to watch and also pay attention to the business aspect.

Is it a career worth pursuing? Are there a lot of opportunities out there for graduates in Journalism?

Thanks for any responses.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In one sense, yes, it is a career worth pursuing. I did it for 30 years and considered myself blessed.
    In another sense, it is not. The times have changed. The world ain't what it was when I got started.
    Go in if you must but do it with your eyes open. There will always be a place for great journalism, it just won't be the places it used to be. Everything is Web oriented. There will be fewer jobs - take a look at the MLB.com interns thread for example. What used to be a great gig for young folks is now a volunteer job.
    Youngsters with ability, moxie and the right attitude will find a way to make it work. But have a backup plan in place! No one would have predicted five years ago that it would be like it is today and who the hell knows what things will look like in six months?

3. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Go work at one of those adult shops you see by the side of the interstate for a few weeks.

You'll get to:
    A) Have a fringe job in an industry you probably at one time dreamed of starring in
    B) Work awful hours
    C) Be surrounded by a lot of dorks and losers
    D) Get bad pay and find it difficult to find a suitable mate.

After a couple of months, if you still think your life is all that, by all means, enroll away!

A more serious answer: As has been discussed many times on here, you do not need a journalism degree to do journalism. Study something else, get a degree in another field. While you're doing that, get to your local paper and see what they might have for you to do and do it, no matter what it is. Write for your school paper. Get published. Build clips. Most will tell you their college transcripts were never even requested en route to getting hired for sports jobs.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Funny. Then solid.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why did the OP capitalize Sports Journalism? It's not a formal term, at least in my book.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Do you like to write?

7. Reacher

Reacher Member

Do it. Absolutely.

BUT HAVE A BACKUP CAREER. Law, business, health care, doesn't matter. Have another career ready to go.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I wouldn't do it. Just isn't worth it to bust your ass for four years of college to get a job making $20k

9. He's in high school. Lighten up, Francis.

10. Babs

Babs Member

No, don't do it. There are a lot of other rewarding, and better paying, options out there. You can always do a little bit of writing on the side.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Doing it because you love sports isn't the best reason. Get a job with a team instead.

Doing it because you love journalism is a much better reason.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Better to learn now than in college.

Draft saved Draft deleted