1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I count this as a triple-double?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Feb 27, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Juco game last night had a guy hit double figures in points, rebounds and ... turnovers.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've actually had that a couple times. One of which the turnovers were a big reason for a close loss. Pretty sure I led the story with something like "[Opposing team] certainly won't mind crediting Joe Blow for a triple double."

3. Was his name Dwyane Wade?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kid named Tank Beavers, who went on to play at Memphis briefly before he was killed in a restaurant shooting last year, once had 31 points and 20 turnovers in a high school game I covered.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why not? Who says a triple double has to involve only positive stats?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Did he have double digits in free-throw attempts, too?

7. JackReacher

Plenty of people use assist-to-turnover ratio, so turnovers seems like it could be a legit stat to include in a triple double. Not saying I ever have -- I haven't -- but I can't argue against it.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not to get too far off topic, but does it weird anyone else out that Ryan Sonner is posting more now (it's cool, by the way)? I mean, the guy was a running joke, or something, for like 6 months on this site.
    So, every time I see he has posted on a thread I find an irresistible urge to go read that thread, even though I don't care about the subject.

Anyway, I wouldn't use turnovers as a stat in triple-doubles, just because, in my mind, it implies that it involves positive stats.

9. JackReacher

Glad to see I could drive the traffic on this site.

Anyway, like I said, I've never used turnovers in a triple double, but it's probably the one negative stat that comes the closest to being acceptable.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can feel you on it being the one negative stat that would be close to acceptable, because like you said assists to turnovers is so important.
    I guess I would just be more likely to point out that a guy had 25 points, 10 assists and 17 turnovers. I wouldn't call it a triple-double, rather I'd point out how he had a great game offensively, but still nearly fucked it up with his turnovers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

And that's exactly how I'd describe it. I'm just saying a writer could present a decent argument if they wanted to. If it comes across my desk, I would at least give it consideration by discussing it with the writer to see what he or she thinks. Who knows, maybe I get a wild hair that night and use it. Doubtful, though.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn deskers.

Draft saved Draft deleted