1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I be pissed? Because I am!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Sep 25, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Typically it does, whether the paper has an outdoor writer or page.

This was a bigger story. Defer.

Now get back to soccer or the prep ice fishing tournament

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

So how can you have all this experience at big city newspapaers yet be new to this thing?

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Haikujacks not new
    Khartoum led them all the time
    Man, those were the days

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

mustang,

So why didn't you get the story? How did the other person get the story? That's something to look into/think about for next time.

Maybe you could get the tip passed your way, if that's how it happened.

By the way, these state record deer, fish, etc., etc. are usually pretty messy. It won't be confirmed for several weeks and then you may hear rumors that he shot it somewhere he wasn't supposed to or that he was illegally planting a field, or that the father actually shot the deer, etc. etc.

So was this a special kids day? It's pretty early to be shooting deer.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Hopefully, one day, the editor will have a child.

Then she will understand what it's like to hurt your feelings.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Only if someone calls him "fat"

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

multiple personalities?

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

mustang, I have some advice...and I'm not kidding with this. You need to lay back on the anger issues and the self-righteousness. Between your response to this and the posts you made about the MLB team not letting you have a single-game press pass, I recommend deep, calming breaths. These are the little things. You don't need to let them make you as bent out of shape as they apparently are. Take what stories you can get and turn them into great stories. The ones you can't get, don't stress over. Spend the time would would have on that story finding another one that could turn into a better clip.

And you're lucky to find a news-sider who is willing to do a dead-deer story. At the small-town weekly I worked at after college, I could have offered my entire annual salary (which wasn't much, but still) and neither of the news folks would have accepted.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As George Carlin said, hunting and fishing aren't sports because your competitor doesn't know he's playing.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All I know is that's a big fucking deer.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'd have been pretty stoked that I didn't have to write a bad feature about a kid shooting a deer. At best, that's a 15-inch, "boy, how 'bout the size of that deer" story.

Draft saved Draft deleted