1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I ask him if he liked DJANGO?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 11, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Aaron Sorkin addresses the issue of journalists basing stories off of stolen documents:

As a screenwriter in Hollywood who’s only two generations removed from probably being blacklisted, I’m not crazy about Americans calling other Americans un-American, so let’s just say that every news outlet that did the bidding of the Guardians of Peace is morally treasonous and spectacularly dishonorable.

I know there’s juicy stuff in the emails and I know some of us have been insulted and I know there’s more to come. No one’s private life can totally withstand public scrutiny. But this is much bigger than hurt feelings and banged-up egos.

If you close your eyes you can imagine the hackers sitting in a room, combing through the documents to find the ones that will draw the most blood. And in a room next door are American journalists doing the same thing. As demented and criminal as it is, at least the hackers are doing it for a cause. The press is doing it for a nickel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/o...urnalists-shouldnt-help-the-sony-hackers.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sony trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube:

Sony Pictures Entertainment warned media outlets on Sunday against using the mountains of corporate data revealed by hackers who attacked the studio’s computer systems.
    In a sharply worded letter sent to news organizations, including The New York Times, David Boies, a lawyer for Sony, characterized the documents posted online as “stolen information” and demanded that they be avoided, and destroyed if they had already been downloaded or otherwise acquired.

The studio “does not consent to your possession, review, copying, dissemination, publication, uploading, downloading or making any use” of the information, Mr. Boies wrote in a three-page letter sent Sunday morning to the legal departments of media organizations.

The pushback came after a flood of damaging reports about salaries, business negotiations, employee health records and email conversations about movie stars and filmmakers.

www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/business/sony-pictures-demands-that-news-organizations-delete-stolen-data.htm

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Is this any different from the Erin Andrews episode? Or Jennifer Lawrence. A crime was committed, cease-and-desist is sure to follow.

Draft saved Draft deleted