1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should homeschool kids be allowed to play school sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 18, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The very act of home schooling puts a financial burden on the schools, if you have a rudimentary understanding of how most public school systems are allocated state funds.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't get the recruiting bit. We're talking about public schools, so shouldn't the kid have to play for the school in the district where he lives?

I'm guessing this is an issue about rules being different by state. I would say if you're going to let them play, don't give them a choice which public school they play for.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Heck, let's just fix it where you can go to class at School A because it has better academics but play football for School B because it is a state contender.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Home-schoolers in Mississippi have their own little association of about a dozen teams consisting of home-school kids. They compete among themselves and against some of the smaller academies.

However, they can't compete with athletes from the public schools. The association is working on changing that, mostly for the benefit of minor sports like cross country and golf, where they have 1-2 players who are actually pretty good. As of now, the MHSAA isn't budging.

Personally, I agree with those who say if you want to play sports for the local public school, you should attend that school as a full-time student. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

OOP, where I live recruiting and kids moving from one school district to another for athletic purposes is a way of life in virtually every sport at every level, public and private.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't have a ton of experience with this, but when a family friend pulled their son out of school for his final semester, there was still a ton of hoops to jump through and responsibilities to be met. Not attending the physical school does not mean you aren't still under the district's umbrella, which is enough for me to say you've got a spot on the team if you earn it.

Why *shouldn't* students and parents be able to do public schools a la carte? What's it hurting?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What you said.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The teams are for the school, the rec department runs the community sports.

If home schooled kids can play for a school, why can't kids attend one school for academics and another for athletics?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

albert, in that case, recruiting isn't a problem specific to home school kids.

The recruiting seems to be to be a separate issue. You're going to have families moving so little Johnny can play for the big football factory, whether they let little Johnny attend classes there or not. There are some athletic leagues that try to deal with those issues and others just let it be.

That's what makes the argument 'yab and Shoeless Joe keep tossing around so ridiculous. They are focusing on the wrong part of the issue.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you family pays taxes then you should take advantage of the education system the money is going to. You're making a choice, if you homeschool your kids or send them to private school, to not take advantage of that. If the classrooms of a school aren't good enough for your kid, then the football fields or the band shouldn't be either.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Tebow family couldn't even play in straight then. In Florida, home-schooled kids have to play sports at the school they're zoned to attend. Tebow lived about three school districts over. Family rented an apartment near the school. Funny that no one was ever home.

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

We've got a tiny Christian school -- 12 dressed out for its spring football game -- that allows homeschoolers to play.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Of course high school's don't recruit, but with open enrollment in so many places ...

Draft saved Draft deleted