1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Hawaii be allowed to do the Haka?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 14, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I didn't see it.

http://deadspin.com/sports/haka-haka/hawaii-loves-its-haka-299100.php

And if you get a chance, look at the video of the New Zealand All-Blacks rugby team doing the Haka. With that one guy leading the dance and chanting, they'd intimidate the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Jack Lambert would laugh at that.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A high school hoops team here did it before the regionals.

4. Should Deadspin figure out that Hawaii football is the Warriors, not the Rainbows?

5. Fixed...

Intimidate the 1970's Steelers?
    Fat. Fucking. Chance.

The Haka is neat. Impressive? ehh.

We have a High school team that comes out of the tunnel in a cloud of smoke led by pipers (Bag, not Rowdy Roddy) and it was pretty freaking cool when the were 10-0 and a state power.
    At 5-5 last season and the prospect of an 0-for-10 staring them in the face, the entrance ain't so great anymore.

Pregame rituals - no matter how grand or ornate - don't mean shit if they can't be backed up on the field of play.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Haka is fine with me...they should probably stop flipping off the other team while doing it.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

At home, sure. Let 'em do it.

On the road, on the home team's logo, during pregame warmups? No. Flag 'em every time.

Teams with a few Samoans and 100 pasty white dudes from Provo, however, should not do the haka.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As long as a map of Hawaii is not part of the ceremony.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is yet another case of the NCAA making something out of nothing. I believe Hawaii has the greatest population of Samoans in the country. What's the big deal if the Warriors recognize their heritage? Especially before the game?

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

That guy leading the All Blacks seemed to have his game on. I haven't followed 'em since Tom Lister retired, and that's been a while.

I think it's silly for the NCAA to involve itself. I didn't see any weapons. Cheerleaders, now there's a proper subject for an NCAA investigation.

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Was that "Rainbows" thing supposed to be a joke? If it was, not particularly funny. If not, then just poor research/knowledge. Also, while not really relevant, Deadspin commenters are so bad. It's like Amateur Night at the Improv.

Oh, and actually ON topic, yes they should be allowed to do it. That team is beloved in Hawaii, and them doing the Haka is like a nod to their local fans. I love it.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I covered club rugby a long time ago in D.C. and Maryland. The guys on some of the teams (who were British, Irish, Australian, etc) always spoke in awe of the All Blacks. To hear the bar talk, they were a combination of the Yankees, Steelers, Celtics and a bit of Mad Max's gang all rolled into one.

Draft saved Draft deleted