1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

should giants take back plaxico?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingo

this is why teams are almost always better off dumping punks, thugs and criminals ASAP.

2. Sgt. Bilco

Sgt. Bilco New Member

"this is why teams are almost always better off dumping punks, thugs and criminals ASAP."

The Dallas Cowboys of the 1990s are probably thankful you included the word "almost..."

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The best beer is free beer.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is Polian familiar with those teams?

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The best beer is vodka. That is all. Carry on.

6. Sgt. Bilco

Sgt. Bilco New Member

Guy -- I'm going to assume that, indeed, Polian has a passing familiarity with them ... and that he sleeps soundly, knowing he did the moral, upstanding, and responsible thing for the good, honest, hardworking fans of Buffalo.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And I'm sure Jones sleeps fine with the rings on his fingers (On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies).

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, but since Jimmuh, the thug/drug formula hasn't worked nearly so well, down in little d.

9. Sgt. Bilco

Sgt. Bilco New Member

"And I'm sure Jones sleeps fine with the rings on his fingers (On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies)."

Pre. Freaking. Cisely.

Entirely undercutting the sanctimonious Polian's fairly stupid assertion that all teams would be better off dumping troublemakers.

10. Sgt. Bilco

Sgt. Bilco New Member

Sorry--I made a faulty leap, for which I apologize. If I reread this thread correctly, Polian is credited merely with denouncing bad actors, not asserting that teams are better off without them. It would appear that sentiment comes from Starman and, in the interest of fair play and whatnot, I'll defer from referring to Starman as sanctimonious just yet.

My underlying point remains the same, however: There are countless teams that have done just fine with scumbags on the roster.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The fixation/fascination of fanboys and a good portion of the media (yes I'm talking about you ESPN and FOX) with "troubled athletes" is pathetic.

They may help your team on a limited basis, as long as you have sane/stable players in enough of a position of influence/domination to keep the behavior of the nut-cases in line, but when they become central components of your team, and nobody can put their foot down on them, eventually they take you down.

Yes, the Cowboys of the 1990s had a few thugs, but the main guys (Aikman and Emmitt Smith) were reasonably well-behaved.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Tell Plax not to let the door hit him where the good Lord split him.

Maybe he'll be right at home on Chokeland or Malice.

Draft saved Draft deleted