1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should disgraced journalist Stephen Glass be admitted to the California Bar?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You know you did something wrong when you are denied a request to practice law in a state because your ethics are too questionable.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sure, they should let him drink all he wants.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guy who Glass screwed over the most says let him be a lawyer: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2014/01/stephen_glass_of_shattered_glass_the_california_supreme_court_rejects_the.html

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah?

5. Dick Whitman

I haven't personally read the opinion, but apparently it is noted that Glass wasn't forthcoming about some items related to his prior New York bar application. In other words, he had to be pristinely, positively clean as a whistle, and he wasn't.

In my application, they asked for every disciplinary action taken against you after elementary school, not including parking tickets or traffic violations not committed in the last seven years.

I reported a fight I got into in seventh grade, a detention I received for tardies I got in ninth grade, and getting written up in the dorm in the first semester of my freshman year of college, 15 years before, for alcohol. The school didn't have a record of it, if it ever did, but I'd heard too many horror stories about the process. I even went back and wrote up an addendum about it for my law school application file.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? That sounds crazy to me. Maybe I'm naive, but I wrote that I had nothing, because I thought I had nothing. Might have had a detention in HS, who remembers?

7. Dick Whitman

My dean of students put on the scare tactics, big-time, about it. To the point I distinctly recall watching a rated R movie during the process - Tarantino, I think - and thinking, "I'm sure glad the C&F committe doesn't know I'm watching this!"

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, a disbarred lawyer could become a journalist.

So which profession does a better job of ensuring professional ethics?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good thing you're here to save us all.

10. YankeeFan

LOL. Funny how journalists can be so defensive, while also looking down their collective nose at other trades/professions that uphold professional/ethical/educational standards among their members.

11. YankeeFan

Yes. I understand this.

This is what makes it funny when journalists act like they are part of some elite brotherhood. The requirements are the same as used car salesman, and less stringent than taxi driver.

Henry Blodget can't work on Wall Street ever again, but he's a reinvented himself as a journalist.

So, lob stones at the ethics of lawyers if you like, but you're throwing them from a glass house.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FYI, most states require car dealers to be licensed. Just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted