1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should disgraced journalist Stephen Glass be admitted to the California Bar?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Nov 19, 2011.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

For the purpose of legal ethics -- and admission to the bar -- crimes of violence are not as big of a black mark as crimes of dishonesty. While Glass didn't commit any crimes, incidents of total fabrication while working in a field where that's a cardinal sin, and then denying it, is a huge mountain to climb. He'd stand a better chance of admission had he robbed a bank, in part because there is a presumption that one can be reformed from a mistake such as committing a robbery but that one is not likely to be reformed from being a liar. You can commit murder and -- under the right circumstances and the right state bar -- eventually be licensed to practice law. But if you have been an embezzler or convicted of fraud, you'll never gain admission.

The reasons crimes and situations involving dishonesty are of such importance to the bar examiners is that lawyers are expected to be honest with the courts, and with their clients, and to serve as fiduciaries over their clients' trust accounts. More lawyers get disbarred for mishandling clients' money than for any other reason. So the examiners are particularly interested in signs that a potential lawyer might not be trustworthy enough to oversee their clients' accounts.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Well, I wish him the best. I just heard he was going to be working for Jukt Micronics, a big-time software firm.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right because he would definitely be the only "liar" practicing law in California.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Consider a minor variant on this question:

Suppose Messr. Glass had gone to med school instead of law school and sought a medical license somewhere in the US to practice neurosurgery - - to pick a specialty at random - - and he demonstrated his competency in that field to a panel of licensed neurosurgeons.

Should he be allowed to practice medicine because he was once a plagiarist/fabricator?

I think he should be free to do - - and allowed to do - - anything for which he is qualified. Being a journalist is not something he is qualified to do because he demonstrated that he was unqualified. Practicing law - - or doing neurosurgery - - is not the same thing as being a journalist.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That post really makes me think. Ultimately, I agree with you. Although, I've always been in favor of some sort of accrediting or licensing for journalists. Not something you must have to 'practice' journalism, obviously, but something to let the world know, 'I've passed a test on journalism's ethics, standards and practices.'

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Right since there are already some unethical lawyers practicing law in California, the California bar shouldn't make any effort to keep unethical people from practicing law. Gotcha.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He did his time for the journalism crimes.

Let him practice law. Give him a chance. If he blows it, then he's finished. If not, good for him.

And, apparently Buzz Bissinger was someone before he became an insane person on twitter. Who knew?

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/archive/1998/09/bissinger199809

8. This .. And this is why I don't think he should be admitted. Because he lied.
    The he fact lied wouldn't preclude him from becoming a doctor or working in many, many, many other fields. But lying does hinder the ability to work in others, such as law enfrocement and IMO the legal profession.

As an attorney of any type (criminal, tax, real eststate), how could his work not be under constant suspicion? If he were a trial lawyer wouldn't his past be brought up in every case?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He lied 15 years ago in a field completely different than the one he's in now.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let him be a lawyer.

A disgraced journalist is still a step above a prominent lawyer.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist, barrister friends.)

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Answer = nope:

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25002185/disgraced-ex-journalist-loses-bid-be-california-lawyer

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Supreme Court questioned Glass' sincerity and observed that his conduct "seemed to have been directed primarily at advancing his own well-being rather than returning something to the community." That pretty much says it all right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted