1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should disgraced journalist Stephen Glass be admitted to the California Bar?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Nov 19, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's the interesting question facing the California Supreme Court.

http://www.law.com/jsp/ca/PubArticleCA.jsp?id=1202532869843&slreturn=1

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes.

His name will always be associated with everything that is wrong with journalism, but it's got to be about 15 years since his scandal.

I know of cases where a guy who served time in prison for rape, but it was taken off his record if he stayed out of trouble for three years. He then went to law school and now is a practicing attorney.

I wouldn't hire Glass as my attorney, but he should be allowed to practice.

3. Mizzougrad96

Didn't he write for Rolling Stone at some point since the scandal? Maybe that was Blair, I can't remember.

I'm not defending what he did on any level, but he's more than "done his time" for what he did.

Honestly, I have more of an issue with Rolling Stone running his writing than I do him being admitted to the California Bar.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let him practice law.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We're talking about practice.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Glass did indeed write for Rolling Stone (and George). I believe his RS work was also disavowed.

7. Johnny Dangerously

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Glass wrote a piece about marijuana laws, which was years after the scandal.

http://thedp.com/index.php/article/2003/07/stephen_glass_returns_to_reporting_at_rolling_stone

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Apparently the stuff he did for RS did not contain fabrication. A piece on Vernon Jordan for George definitely did.

http://www.rickmcginnis.com/articles/Glassindex.htm

10. Johnny Dangerously

Just never have heard disavow used that way. Had no idea what you meant by it.

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Yeah, I was thinking of it in terms of RS distancing itself from his articles.

12. Mizzougrad96

I remember when George had a "letter to readers" explaining and apologizing for the stories it had run that Glass had fabricated. It was next to, or close to, the table of contents and I think was signed by JFK Jr.

I remember thinking they handled it about as well as they could.

Draft saved Draft deleted