1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Denny Green resign in his postgame press conference?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Denny, in my opinion, is not a very good NFL head coach. I sure wouldn't hire him if I owned a team.
    I do, however, agree with Jason. The occasional post-game tantrum doesn't have anything to do with Green's ability or lack of same. The only reason we don't see more of these outbursts are that most coaches are so emotionally and mentally spent by the final gun they can barely stand up for the post-game presser.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Denny's a coward and a loser. After helosses his composure and throws a press conference tantrum he doesn't resign for his failures, he fires the OC, Kieth Rowan.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Loved this quote from the AP firing story:

They just got done scoring 23 on a pretty damn good defense.

4. donnie23

donnie23 Member

It's just ... the Cardinals. It really is. I don't know how else to put it.

I spent one illustrious year covering this team and it's impossible to explain the cloud that hangs over the franchise, from free agency through the 16th and always-final game of the season. It's not that everything is negative; it's just that when the negative arrives, the feeling is that of being set back onto the proper track instead of that of surprise. There is disappointment, but there is rarely surprise.

If ever losing was a self-fulfilling prophecy for a franchise, this is it. I think it was Tirico who made the comparison to the Clippers, which isn't perfect but is as close as I've heard mentioned.

Vince Tobin, Dave McGinnis, Dennis Green ... Thomas Jones, Marcel Shipp, Edgerrin James ... Dave Brown, Jake Plummer, Kurt Warner (Leinart may prove to be the exception) ... the faces are interchangeable, especially in the past decade when people have finally relented and allowed themselves to be deluded into thinking the team has a chance every offseason or two. It's like the culture is bigger than the people.

Green could resign. It might temporarily make a difference. But in the long run? Doubtful.

PS -- I love looking at that pretty new stadium out in the middle of BFE Glendale, about as far as you could ask most of the Valley to drive to get somewhere with entering an Native American reservation or crossing state lines. What's funniest to me about the 'home of the rollout grass-tray field' is how they got voter approval to build it ... the Sunday before the Tuesday election, it is widely considered a tossup whether they will win the vote and secure the future of the franchise.

Redskins at Cardinals, and Aeneas Williams returns a fumble 104 yards as part of the improbable win ... asked about the excitement generated by the return, Williams answers, "Don't you know there's an election Tuesday?" And two days later, the Cardinals barely win the election, and then go on with losing.

As always, they do just enough to make you think this time could be different. It won't be. It really defies logic in the new parity-driven NFL, especially as the Saints and Bengals of the world can execute some form of rebuilding. You just never feel like it'll happen in Arizona. I hope Leinart helps change that, but I wish I had more confidence.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

No, it's because most coaches understand the importance of staying on an even keel most of the time, and if a coach went off every time he got upset, then the players certainly would quit responding because they'd know the coach couldn't handle the pressure.

I used to be amazed at how coaches could stay so calm when evrything was falling apart, their team was completely incompetent, etc., but I've come to realize that while demonstrating passion and occasionally letting go can be beneficial, coaches who don't let their emotions get the best of them (at least in public) are doing the right thing. Listen to Brian Urlacher's comments after that game. He said, "We never give up; our coach won't let us." A bit cliched, I know, but I guarantee you Lovie Smith's demeanor makes it easier for the Bears to weather a storm (and they were in a very tough spot into the third quarter) than for a team like the Cardinals, who could see on their coach's face during the fourth quarter that he had no faith, and then he went and acted like a petulant child afterward.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I cover a program like that now. It IS weird, there's some undefinable karma out there that suggests whatever can go wrong, will, usually in humiliating fashion. The fan base (such as it is) expects negative things to happen, the players hope nothing negative happens, but aren't surprised when it does, etc.

Sometimes the losing culture does magnify everything else.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I know where you are.

Trust me: It's just that the entire city sucks out loud.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Ozzie Guillen.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Gooooooooood call. There's my short memory firing up. Thanks.

10. pallister, and i hate to say this because it will sound condescending, but you sound like you cover preps and you sound like a guy who has never worn a jockstrap, not even over your head as a prank.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, well, it doesn't suck out loud as much your, uh, ugly face! Yeah! Take that, bitch! :D

Seriously, it's not that bad. But I know my success in convincing you of that has a similar chance of success as convincing you that there is nothing more life-affriming than kneeling in front of a mascot in our vicinity, unzipping his pants, and finding out just how purple that ace in his pocket really is. :eek: :D

OK, even I'll admit, this post careened into a bizarro ditch I hope to never visit again.

12. XXXX

XXXX Member

definatly, this is the most embarassing 2 game stretch in the HISTORY OF THE NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! blowing not one but TWO 14 POINT LEADS???? RIDICULOUS

Draft saved Draft deleted