1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Denny Green resign in his postgame press conference?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 17, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Forward thinking like this could put Denny Green on Shula's staff at Alabama....

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Yes. We have it. And it's unedited (until You Tube yanks it).

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If he's watching out for his best interest, yes he should resign.

No one will ever, ever, ever win with the Cardinals, no matter how talented the team is, if the other team is composed of 8 year old pee wee players or forced to play uphill. The Cardinals are loosers for all of infinity.

Billy Bidwill: karma is a monster bitch....

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You stay classy, Denny.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Thanx, BL....nice site you have, btw

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

One of those stupid Coors Light guys asking a dumb question.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It was another variation of the "what did you think about (insert team name here)" question.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Coaches hate that questions, especially after they lose. But that's not what the question was. It was a legitmate question about what the Cardinals saw from Grossman and how they were able to force him into six turnovers.

And in typical Denny fashion (having watched his act grow ever-so old in Minnesota), he started it out by saying (in a normal voice) "the Bears were what they thought they were," which is code for saying I'm a really smart coach and I'm not at all surprised that we were able to do that.

Of course, then it turned into one of the greatest meltdowns in recent memory.

10. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I know we love to roast Joe T here (and he is at times unbearable), but he barely got the words "the last thing they should do is run the ball here" out of his mouth before EJames took two straight handoffs and ran straight into the line.
    I just wished they had called Green on that then.
    The Bears showed no ability on that drive to stop the short pass. For Christ's sake, keep running the play until they do.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

YES! YES! YES!

How many times does this have to happen for coaches to learn? A 40-yarder is makeable, but it's not a gimme. Especially when your team has just had a meltdown. And especially when it's blitheringly obvious that's what you're driving for, giving the kicker a looooonggggg time to think about it. Actually, a 50-yarder probably would have been less pressure, because if Rackers misses it, he's cut more slack than missing an "easy" 40-yarder.

My wife can attest to this -- I called that the Cardinals needed to make one more first down at the end, and that Rackers would blow the kick. With the Cardinals, you just know. Plus, on that third-and-one -- or better yet, on that second-and-one -- why not have Leinart throw one of those quick screens or slants? Those were working most of the night, and that would have easily gotten them another three or four yards to get the first down. Even though the Cardinals had those killer turnovers, you're better off not playing it "safe" and getting it, if you can, to a 30-yards-or-less field goal.

By the way, James, 36 rushes for 55 yards -- has anybody ever rushed so many times in one game for so few yards? I wouldn't say he stinks, but I would say the Cardinals offense does not work to his strengths (no Colts-style stretch play here), and the Cards' run-blocking is beyond awful.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to the NFL, no. ESPN mentioned several times after the game that he set a record for most carries with the fewest yards gained in NFL history.

Draft saved Draft deleted