1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should colleges offer an athletics major?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by e_bowker, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you can major in English or History -- majors that won't get you a job other than teaching -- you should be able to major in Athletics.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

The name has been changed, in part to avoid people thinking that's all the major is about. The job options within the field remain quite varied.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Writing about animals
    Writing about plants
    Writing about dirt

Have I forgotten anything?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Check out the majors & GPAs on the Student Athletes not involved in football or basketball. Those athletes, males and female, are successful as students in the most challenging academic majors.

This is not to say that basketball and football players all take the path of least resistance in college, but those who are deluded enough to believe they will play pro sports and blow off a great free college education get what they deserve and put into their education, basketball especially. Will 15 American college players drafted this year be playing in the NBA in 4 years? Will 25% of those that sign an NFL contract out of college this year be in the NFL in 3 years?

And what about all the DIII student athletes, who play for the love of the games and but are in college to get an education? As long as the football and basketball programs don't take college opportunities away from those who are students first and foremost, I could give a damn about their majors or their graduation rates.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I bet students who do well in electrical engineering, molecular biology and organic chemistry do well in their other classes. Music is fine combination of mathematics and art, it works both sides of the brain and also heart. I've known some very good technical musicians that don't emote when playing, it detracts from the performance.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying majoring in music is easy. I just think that's comparable in the sense that it's a field that doesn't always have direct, practical application, but teaches you discipline and sharpens your mind.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Studies have also shown students involved in sports do better in their classes. Really has nothing to do with music whatsoever, I just like typing sometimes.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Huh? You can teach music, compose music, perform in a symphony, a band, give lessons, etc.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

So what has it been changed to? What are those varied job options? And why is such a curiously high number of Wisconsin football players majoring in this?

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Funny, but when The Ann Arbor News pointed that out, it was crucified by the maize-and-blue Kool-Aid drinkers.

Truth hurts.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or you can become an opera singer, work in musical theatre and sing the anthem at hockey games. Ask HC.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's crazy. What are the odds?

Draft saved Draft deleted