1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should colleges offer an athletics major?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by e_bowker, Jul 21, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"General studies" seems to cover a lot of athletes nicely.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

"General sports studies" would be a great major to cover this as long as there is the required courses of dealing with media, an agent, how to invest, sports nutrition, how to read a contract and so on. The problem is that schools will require a bunch of BS classes that a student who is there simply for football or basketball won't want to take.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I minored in sports studies. It was actually Kinesiology, but my classes were as follows:

Physiological bases of coaching -400 level
    Pyschological bases of coaching - 400 level
    Legal Bases of coaching - grad school class
    Coaching basketball---- nowhere near a blowoff
    History of Sports in America ---- coolest course ever, counted as a history elective. There was a higher level one too.
    Nutrition 101 - Another worthwhile class.

Wasn't too easy, but I got a coaching certification from my school, and it counted toward a minor.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Don't they already offer this major?

[/SECfans]

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You might want to elaborate on that or HC will be along at some point to kick your ass.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Watch a Wisconsin football game and see how many of the players are majoring in agricultural journalism. Anyone here have an explanation for that? Are a lot of ex-Badgers getting hired on the ag/farm beat around the country?

7. why should colleges train people to train in the pros -- and yeah, I know the reason is revenue for the school -- which just gets rolled over into more athletics etc.
    But really, the NFL and NBA should help fund better minor leagues if they want to recruit, as do baseball and hockey

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And courses in how to cross the street, how to tie your shoelaces, how to make a cup of coffee.

9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Colleges are the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA, especially the NFL.
    NBA and NFL have no incentive at all to to fund "minor" leagues to recruit, the NCAA does this for them.

What I'm saying is since that is not going to change any time soon, why not have those athletes getting scholarships simply because they play football, major in something that will interest them at least slightly and quit bullshitting the system by trying to get a degree in something that wastes everyone's time.

At least if they major in their future chosen sport they may know how to read their contract or not get totally screwed by agent speak.

Those athletes who actually want a degree in economics, science, etc. can still get one, but those who only care about playing time, their image and how much their contract will be, would also have a reason to go to class.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

We outsource the academics.

[/trueSECfan]

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because colleges are supposed to exist to educate their students and sports are supposed to be extracurricular activities for the students to have fun with when they are not doing their primary job, which is supposed to be studying.

That is how the NCAA keeps clinging to their amateurism claim, even though everyone knows it's BS.

Not only that, but what happens if either an athlete gets hurt, or, while they're majoring in football, they end up not as good as they thought they were going to be, and instead of playing in the NFL, all they'll have for their four years is a battered body?

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

A buddy of mine was a music ed. major, he was busier than any person I knew. He told me it was basically like being a double major.

Draft saved Draft deleted