1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should college athletes be paid?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Should college athletes be paid?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes because they're scheduling games across the country in the middle of the week and telling him that he has to take the basket weaving class because the pre-med class interferes with practice time and would take too much time away from his film studying.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Let's not mix college life with poverty. It's college life. You're poor.

And, oh by the way, you get a free ride, with benefits to make sure you do that studying thing.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If they can freely negotiate their worth, they should be paid as much as they can negotiate for themselves.

The cost of the school's tuition doesn't really have anything to do with that, other than the fact that the value of a scholarship is certainly a negotiating chip that the schools bring to the table.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's not another issue. It's the same issue. The reason coaches and administrators (especially the lowlifes at the NCAA) make so much is that the labor costs are zero. It's very much intertwined and similar to the grossly exaggerated executive pay in a Fortune 500 company. The difference is there is some sort of free market at work at the company but a ridiculous restraint of the free market in college sports.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

See, I see it as let them get whatever the hell they want from outside sources and let the Universtity provide what they are now without the restrictions. I have no doubt that it will be completely corrupt but the system is corrupt now and the ones benefiting most aren't the players.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I only bring that up because it's another example of a systemic failing that people blame on individuals.

If, over a large sample size, bad results are occurring, then the problem is with the system.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The point isn't that a college scholarship doesn't have value, it's that the value is earned by hours of labor divorced from the revenue generated by said labor for the schools. I give credit to Beef for acknowledging that denying athletes the rights to their own names and images is simply unconscionable. Perhaps a profit-sharing arrangement would be more equitable than flat out salaries.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As far as the original question goes, pay them the difference between the scholarship and actual cost of attendance for all the scholarship athletes. Then allow athletes to profit off their name on top of that. Won't cost the school anything other than the cost of attendance, and with the billions being generated, they can afford that.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How do D-II and D-III and NAIA student-athletes figure into the mix? Jucos?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly what the market will bear. Not a penny more or less.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For you guys who think a scholarship is enough value, run this hypothetical:

Beginning next year, the NCAA opens the floodgates. Negotiate the best deal you can, with the only condition being that a player is a full-time student.

How many kids sign at a BCS school for less than the fair market value of a scholarship?

The correct answer is zero.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Aaron Murray from UGA is going to graduate with a MASTER'S in psychology before going to the NFL (I use him as an example because I'm a UGA grad and his first comes to mind). How was he able to do that with this "system" working against him? Surely, as the QB of a major, SEC school, he had more demands placed on him than any other athlete at UGA?

And he is just one example. I think the system works just fine for athletes who actually want to leave college with both a degree and the chance to play in the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted