1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should broadcasters have worn dead player’s jersey on the air?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Announcers are shills, they are there to move tickets, sell beer and make the local nine seem far more exciting and interesting than they actually are.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We may have reached our cultural butthurt tipping point with the this "controversy."

expendable and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They're team employees, not journalists.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Seriously?

The final NTSB report on the crash that killed my sister and her family came out this week. It wasn't good, though it was entirely expected (mainly because I/we have been in contact with the lead investigator and he was tremendous in every step of the way).

A reporter did a story and I had to put together a family statement (with feedback from the other family members). As I said in it, the NTSB report did not change the fact the four of them aren't coming back and we continue to mourn to this day.

The sudden, out-of-the-blue loss of family members is something I'm sadly familiar with and I know what the Skaggs family and to a larger extent the Angels are dealing with. It's not good.

These are local broadcasters. They're team employees. They're much closer with the team than, say, the beat writer with the Orange County Register. Let's be outraged by bigger things in this world.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Goes without saying, but, we got your back here, MileHigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted