1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Boise State get a shot at a national title?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom_Brinkman01, Jan 2, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We can argue the point endlessly, but until somebody forces the BCS presidents to adopt a legitimate playoff not controlled by the BCS (4 or 8 teams isn't legitimate), all it's going to be is an endless argument.

And that's why Boise winning tonight strengthens the case for a real playoff: It forces everybody to face the what-if. Sure, the BCS schools let a mid-major in but that's because they pedantically figured a mid-major would lose and strengthen their case. So much for that.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's last season. It's irrelevant -- different coach, different and far superior running back.

Again, what happened last season shouldn't matter. That's bullshit posturing by people who don't think small schools have any business competing with the big boys.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Again, Kool-Aid drinkers, let me remind you: It's one win.

It was an impressive win, given the comeback, but it's still just one win.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is outlandish. The weakest Big-10 teams are still better than New Mexico State, Idaho and Sacramento State - yes a D-IAA school. And yes, you are correct, Texas wasn't that great. Last I checked no one was arguing that point.
    I have no problem with BSU crashing the ball, if the Broncos play teams other than their shitty schedule.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hence, Boise State couldn't do a thing to save its lives against USC. Because Boise State can shut down the run, but it sure as hell can't stop the pass, just ask New Mexico State and Hawaii.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wait, didn't the glorious Ian Johnson play last season? It is not irrevelant. I think there should be a playoff, I just have beef with people claiming BSU should be ranked higher than No. 6 and I have a real beef with people claiming Boise State should have had a chance at Ohio State. That is all.

Oh yeah, go UMass!

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Kool-Aid. Mmmmm. I love Kool-Aid, especially after reading DyePacks threads. It has created a great love of Kool-Aid by me.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just now got to see the highlights. There was no way in hell Ian Johnson's girl was going to say no to his proposal after that game.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except for Northwestern, which lost by 17 at home to I-AA New Hampshire. Or Indiana, which lost by seven at home to I-AA Southern Illinois.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If Florida was to beat Ohio State, I'd be awfully tempted to pencil Boise for the top spot in my ballot, but I don't have a vote, so it doesn't really matter.
    I figure Boise will be No. 3, ahead of USC and behind LSU.

Let's say Florida wins. To mean that means Grand Valley State, the D-II champions are the national champs for all of college football. Grand Valley State beat Northwest Missouri, which beat Chadron State, who beat Montana State, who beat Colorado, who beat Iowa State, who beat Missouri, who beat Ole Miss, who lost to Vanderbilt, who then lost to Georgia, who lost to Auburn, who lost to Florida.
    But App. State beat Montana State and then went on to win the I-AA title, so if Florida was to win, I'd have to pencil either App State or Grand Valley. Both are two-time champs.
    or
    Florida beat Ohio State, but Florida lost to Auburn, which lost to Arkansas and the Razorbacks lost to Wisconsin, which lost to Michigan, which lost to Ohio State, so Ohio State has the best claim on the national title. Oh wait...

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

New Mexico State has only beaten one D-1 opponent in its last 20 games, Idaho sucks donkey balls ask anyone but SC and Sacramento State is a D-IAA school, so New Hampshire could probably beat them too and the Royals.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, is everyone telling me I have to root for Ohio State just so everyone will shut up about Boise State being the national champs if the Buckeyes lose? I hate Ohio State, but I will cheer them on if it means no more talk about the Broncos being the national champs with a Buckeyes loss.

Just curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted