1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Boise State get a shot at a national title?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom_Brinkman01, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No, please say no Oz. You aren't spouting this logic are you? So the Royals are better than the World Series champs because they beat the Yankees once and they beat someone who beat the Cardinals. Come one, this is the dumbest logic known to man.
    Just because Boise State beat Oregon State, which beat USC by a point, means the Broncos would beat the Trojans. Did you see the two bowl games today? Do you really think the Broncos would beat the Trojans? Really?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Since when is Oregon State ranked, on the other thread I heard about how USC doesn't deserve to be No. 2 because they lost to two unranked opponents.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Sorry, Ozzie, I'm missing it, who were the ranked opponents? (And were they ranked at the time of the game?)

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oklahoma is the only opponent BSU has beaten this year that was ranked at the time of the game.

The Broncos beat Oregon State and Hawaii, both of whom spent time ranked in the low 20s after losing to Boise State.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, BSU has played Oregon State the last four years and the Broncos have home-and-homes scheduled with Utah and Washington and perhaps Oregon, I can't remember, the next couple of years, of course everyone on this board doesn't think of the PAC-10 as a power conference.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Royals logic nonsense for a second, you ought to know that.

Yes, I did see both games today. Yes, I think Boise State could beat USC. I'm a firm believer that anything can happen when you settle things on the field, so I won't dismiss that chance.

I'm not saying Boise State is a better team than USC because of the Oregon State games. We don't know how the game would unfold, but we do know the outcomes of both games, so that's a starting point. Add in that Boise State has no losses and that USC has two, yeah, I would rank the Broncs higher in my top 25.

As for the top 25 opponents, the Broncs will have finished this season with at least two wins against ranked teams -- Oklahoma and Oregon State, which was not ranked when the two played early this season. Hawaii could be a third ranked opponent in the final polls.

7. KP

KP Active Member

I said the top of the power conferences. Yes, the PAC-10 counts.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

An argument that makes no sense.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But I'm not so sure that those teams do. Anybody think Michigan, Notre Dame or Florida would have the stones to go to Boise?

(OK, wait. Actually, I do think Urban Meyer would go to Boise.)

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Until Boise beats an SEC or Big Ten team, a large slab of the media will not give the Broncos their due. You think any of em would dare schedule Boise now.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Long story short, I'm giving Boise State the benefit of the doubt.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thank you DyePack.
    Oz you are talking crazy. So, because USC plays in a real conference and took two losses it would lose to BSU. The same BSU that needed to execute three crazy plays perfectly? The same USC that dismantled the best "defense" in the nation. Are you serious?
    How can you not compare the two arguments? If BSU beat Oregon State which beat USC, hence BSU is better than USC, then the same principle applies, the Royals beat the Yankees, who beat someone who beat the Cardinals, hence the Royals are really the CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL and WINNERS OF THE WORLD SERIES! There is no other way around it. You can't have it two different ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted