1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

should be sympathy for Duke guys, not Rutgers girls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by keef spoon, Apr 13, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Keef won't rename it. He's got a rather high lever of woman hatred in him.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's a good point, and I started to write a lengthier defense of myself based on my personal history growing up with my mother (divorce, raised 5 kids herself, etc), but it's really not the place to get into details, publicly.

All I can say is that I feel confident I have as good of an understanding of a woman's challenges in our society as any man does.

I think this is important: Like sportschick was saying, this doesn't have to be a choice. Women DO get raped and have crimes committed against them, and men DO get false accusations placed against them. Both things are true, sadly. One doesn't have to negate the other.

:)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Rok, you're a cool dude. But you're totally blinded if you think that the system has skewed so quickly that women have some kind of advantage over men already. It's not even close. Historically speaking, the gap has certainly closed a lot in the last century -- but it's still not even fucking close.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's unfortunate, that he has that, if that's the case.

It's not a good thing to hate half the population, no matter who it is.

Women are great. Can't imagine life without you all. Life would be boring as hell and be devoid of real joy. :)

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Maybe it's just the circles I've been in, BW.

You're right, at an all-around level, for sure, if you look at everything. I guess I'm talking more at the college and up level, the professional level. Again, I'm probably being too anecdotal here. I accept that criticism.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

If you were one of the Duke boy's you had to know something could go bad if you attended that party. You're putting yourself in harm's way. If you're a Rutgers player, you didn't do anything that should have caused the comment to come your way. I don't feel sorry for the Duke boys. They were stupid for getting involved with the party in the first place. They made a choice which propelled them into trouble, the Rutgers players didn't make a choice at all and got attacked verbally. No comparison.

7. The Duke case is actually about civil liberties.
    Just sayin'.

8. Are yall crazy...why even compare the two? They are distinct and different. The only thing they share is black women, who Rutgers' case were unjustly and disgustingly hit with the worst racial slur they could have been hit with. These girls are mostly a few months out of high school. Would Imus have called a white team "whores".
    And, I feel bad for the Duke boys. But, I imagine in the end, they'll land just find. The world feels bad for them. And with all the Duke alums helping, they'll be making more than most of us by the end of the year.
    Hell, they'll get book and movie deals.
    No, the big loser in this is black women and anyone who is attacking them because they had the gaul to be insulted by an obvious jerk, who was rightfully fired.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sorry, Omar. You, I and everyone else lost the right to paint these guys as over-privilieged preppies the moment they got railroaded by a power-hungry DA.

10. Do you think they won't get jobs now? How about even dates? And Nifong did them dirty, no way around it. But what does that have to do with the Rutgers team? Cant both groups get sympathy? What, because the Rutgers team is black and the Duke players white that they are on opposite sides?
    They are on the same side - they were wronged.
    And, I'd bet anyone on this board the Duke guys will be making more money and their lives will likely turn out better than those of most Rutgers players.
    Again, that's because they have everyone's sympathy. The Rutgers team is being attacked because they got a white guy fired. That's al they did.

11. And, respectfully and not to cause outrage on the board, but for people saying women - especially black women - have it easier now than the Duke boys is just plain ignorant. Or didn't yall know women make less for the same jobs? And look around your offices, how many black women do you see in charge?
    Why have these two events turned America into black vs. White?
    Sharpton and Jackson attacked because they stoo up for the girls. And to my knowledge, Sharton only said" lets get to the bottom" of the lax case.
    So, why is this black vs. white?
    It should be right vs. wrong.
    Stripper and Imus on one side, Rutgers and Duke players on the other.

12. I truly don't know the answer to this question, and I'm asking it in all seriousness:
    Has the NC AG concluded that nothing happened at the party, or has he concluded that the events are so clouded, and Nifong's misconduct so egregious, that no charges can be sustained?

Draft saved Draft deleted