1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

should be sympathy for Duke guys, not Rutgers girls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by keef spoon, Apr 13, 2007.

1. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Why is everybody supposed to feel sorry for the Rutgers women's basketball team, but nobody can feel too bad for the guys at Duke? The girls were besmirched by a radio host trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny, but not by name. They were defamed as a group, and all will remain relatively anonymous. It's not like they were arrested or had to face any legal issues. They were simply embarassed, and it will all blow away in a few days and nobody will even know what their names are.

Meanwhile, the Duke kids had to go through a year of hell, not knowing whether they might spend years in prison for something they didn't do. They were arrrested, publicly ridiculed and essentially presumed guilty from the start. They had to spend millions on legal fees, and that will still never buy back their good names.

But they're "privelaged" males, so we're basically not allowed to feel sorry for them. And the only anger we're allowed to feel regarding the situation is towards Nifong, or Duke, or the press, not the lying whore who started the whole mess.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

STOP! PLEASE! ENOUGH!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line: The Rutgers girls had done nothing wrong.

The Duke guys were misbehaving. I would tell my son you go to a party where everyone is getting drunk and strippers are invited and bad things are likely to happen. May not be fair but there it is.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

What does this have to do with journalism?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Forget it, keef's rolling.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I haven't chimed in on any of the Duke ongoings until now, but Ace hit it right on the head.

I will be forever of the belief that something happened at that party that night. We'll never know what or how, but something had to have happened.

7. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

But the Rutgers women's team has been so courageous. Just imagine being called a bad name. I'd kill myself if it ever happened to me. They are probably the most courageous people in the history of mankind. If the NCAA doesn't strip Tennessee of the NCAA title and rightfully award it to Rutgers, well, this world has no need for heroes.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a marvelous idea and only fair!

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The Duke guys deserve more sympathy, for sure. They had LEGAL ACTION pending on them, and were 'convicted' in the public court.

The Rutgers girls didn't, and weren't. They were on the sympathy train from the beginning.

There is ZERO comparison, no matter what anyone wants to believe.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Um, then why did you just compare them?

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

To keep in line with the thread title

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Duke players weren't any different than Pacman Jones.

Draft saved Draft deleted