1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should archives by behind a paywall?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jun 13, 2012.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This.

2. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Not every paper does, and some do not include the entire archive, particularly pre mid-1980s, and unless you job it out, if you do you still have to create and manage whatever pay system you decide to use, and that takes someone's time and energy. In a not completely disimilar situation, some libraries and archives have recently made some significant holdings available online for free that they used to charge for simply because the cost/benefit isn't there - it's more costly for them to charge for reproduction and research than just give it away.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, we charge for ours.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I am astonished that the SI Vault is free. What a missed opportunity. Would you pay a nickel to read your favorite 20-year-old story? A quarter to browse every issue from 1974? A buck for 24-hour access to research something?

Get people to put a credit card on file and let the billing begin.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

A thought that just hit me as I was skimming the thread: What happens if you're freelancing a story for an out of town paper that has runs a paywall, and you want a copy to put in your clip file? Do you get them to mail you a copy? E-mail a copy if, like me, your clips are in a Word doc? Pay for a day of access (if that's possible) in order to get a copy?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We don't charge until the story is two weeks old. Then you can pay for stuff at a variety of levels, ranging from $3 for one story up to a year's access to up to 1,000 files for about two grand.

Draft saved Draft deleted