1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Apple help the Feds break into the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The concept of the Govt. forcing a private company or individual to do anything against their will is squarely at odds with our Constitution, Govt. is only entitled to what's already been done or in existence. Answer is no; do your own work.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about forcing folks to buy health insurance?

old_tony and SpeedTchr like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That would be terrible if it ever happened. Fortunately that isn't happening, and people only have to pay a tax if they don't want to buy insurance.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The government, as in state governments, requires automobile owners to have operating insurance. Nobody bitches about it because it is recognized as a practical aid to all drivers. Being able to read smartphones is of questionable benefit and obvious cost to privacy.
    Our security apparatus is drowning in data as it is. When the next attack happens here, as is inevitable, people will say "how did they miss the clues?"" The answer will be the clues were buried under millions of other clues, 99.9 percent false alarms.

5. YankeeFan

Same difference.

Apple doesn't have to unlock the iPhone either, but they'll pay a penalty if they defy a court order.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Which is totally different than a simple tax. But OK.

7. YankeeFan

Buy this product from a private company or pay a tax that may be as much as the cost of the product is a unique proposition.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If there's something within that phone encryption that could lead to another cell bring broken up but it's not and more people get killed Apple will have the blood on its hands.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Under what grounds does Apple face a penalty?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The magistrate (not a judge, a judge has to approve the magistrate's order) is way out of line. Neither a private individual nor company has an obligation, nor should it, to help the government do anything. You do not want that line crossed, otherwise, the government could compel Apple to disclose its next invention/innovation, or the source code.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I know it's off subject (as if that's never happened here before) but I think the New York Times is way overdue for a redesign.
    Capitalizing (almost) every word in a (centered) headline, and using Mr., Mrs. and Ms. on second reference went out a LONG time ago, except, apparently, at "The Gray Lady" of newspapers. To me, the former shows laziness and the latter smacks of pretentiousness.
    Granted, I don't subscribe, but if I came across a rack (insert own joke here) with a paper that looked like that, I'd pass. It looks like a boring read, or a fake paper you'd find in a movie or TV show.

12. YankeeFan

Most people are only going to look at this issue through an emotional lense:

Draft saved Draft deleted