1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Apple help the Feds break into the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Ludacris for the government to ask for this. Everything Ragu said x100

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I could take Apple's privacy of their customer concerns more seriously if they didn't track everywhere their iPhone customers went with the GPS in the phones for use in marketing and advertising.

SFIND likes this.
  3. old_tony

This guy thinks you should learn to spell ludicrous.

[​IMG]

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oldie but a goodie, from a college professor. Fun tangent.

YankeeFan and old_tony like this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

6!

6. old_tony

She's going to be wondering why someone just "liked" her tweet some four years later.

Songbird likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Here's my question: What data does the government think is on the phone that it can't get through other means? Text messages, phone calls and emails can all be gotten through the carrier or email server. Photos and videos are stored in the cloud. Payments using mobile banking or PayPal can be retrieved from the financial institutions. The phone itself is irrelevant to all of this data. So why does the government want the ability to unlock the phone?

9. YankeeFan

Big story. Going to be a big political story.

The public at large will not be with Apple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've already seen people on my Facebook feed saying we shouldn't be protecting the privacy of a dead terrorist, or asking why we can't just do it this one time because the guy is dead and a known terrorist. I'm amazed at how many people fail to see the larger picture.

I said it before, but I really don't think this is about this one case. If it were, no sane person would question it. I don't even think the government really cares about what's on this dude's cell phone. I think it's all just laying the groundwork for greater access to everyone's data and the Feds using a case they know will get the public on its side.

Riptide likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The American public always is, has been and will be on the side of authority as opposed to abstract civil liberties, especially when fear of the (nonwhite) Other is involved. When Apple starts running ads telling people if they give in, the Chinese will wind up reading American smartphones, opinion may find this issue less abstract.

LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  12. YankeeFan

Draft saved Draft deleted