1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Apple help the Feds break into the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Seems to me the Feds want it both ways...they tell us the SB shooters were basically lone wolves who weren't very much on their radar and didn't do a whole lot of damage anyway, and now months later the Feds' hair is on fire needing to get into the couple's phone like they have a nuke timed to go off.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That would be a miscarriage of justice. A court has no legal authority (yes, I know that doesn't matter as to what is going to happen) to force Apple to create software for the FBI. It would be unprecedented. You'd think that would be even more egregious when it relates to software that undermines what Apple might consider a key selling point to a segment of customers for their product. It's the government unjustly interfering in their business. That kind of judicial interference would be wrong for a whole host of reasons.

TowelWaver and Batman like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't have much to add because Ragu is doing a wonderful job articulating my feelings on this. Glad Apple is pushing back.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Congressman Sam Albert rubs his hands together while cackling maniacally.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. It is important to get access to the shooters' phones but not at the risk of everyone elses privacy.

6. bigpern23

The more I think about it, the more I think the Feds are simply using this incident, with its national security overtones, to set themselves up with easier access to anyone's phone in the future. I suspect they believe they'll receive widespread support in the name of "stopping the terrorists!!!"

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yep. Just saw a news conference with William Bratton and the fear mongering was in full force. Privacy or lives?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No.

9. bigpern23

Apple's response:
    Customer Letter - Apple

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe we shouldn't have raped and pillaged the Fourth Amendment 15 years ago.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Funny, Apple didn't seem to care too much about user security when it had no limit on iCloud sign-in attempts.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I have read that the phone did not belong to him, but instead the County provided it to him for his job. Doesn't that change the privacy issue? It's a bit like a work computer, it belongs to the employer not the employee.
    Also phone info and computer info are examined on a daily basis for trial purposes as long as it is done legally through the courts.
    I don't know how to address the issue of Apple being forced to make a solution.

Draft saved Draft deleted